Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CM84 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,

I just thought that I would chime in here and say that I would like to see the color changer changed. This is one reason that I have NOT switched from XCHAT to MIRC. I hate it when you are sitting there and you are trying to set your colors and you set 1 color and it changes 4 because they're in the same color that is annoying. I would like it to where EACH ONE is seperate AND if you change one it does NOT change 4 bc its in the same color. I sat here for an hour trying to change 1 freaking color and couldnt because it would change 3, because of it being in the same range of color.

SO I finally just said its not worth getting a headache over which by then I had one already.. So I took MIRC back off.

I think it should be like xchat where EACH ONE functions on its own so you can set colors for EACH ALERT option under the crayon as its own color not have it set as well if its the same color MAKE THEM ALL that color. Your the ONLY client where the colors effect each other and argg its annoying and a pain to mess with to get it how you want it. frown

Thanks,
Christopher

Last edited by CM84; 19/07/08 03:28 AM.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Alt + K => Right Click to colour to change and customize it smile

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Looks like he's complaining about the fact that mIRC is limited to 16 custom colours, not that he doesn't know how to change them.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Oh, asking for an unlimited colour palette? My bad!
And yeah, I wish for that too. It'd be awesome.

C
CM84 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
No, I am not... for instance if I click on a item under the crayon lets say its NICK COLOR and lets say NOTICE is both white

so I pick a color I right by clicking on a color and then it goes to the COLOR CHANGER where I can change my coustom colors or make colors up by moving the little arrow up and down on the color square to make coustom colors so if I change it to lets say a very light orange ANYTHING that was WHITE turns to that orange color

THATS what I am talking about they need to change where EACH item under MIRC acts idependantly and I can set coustom colors for each one individuly and NOT have them all change to that color bc the other ones were white

- Christopher

C
CM84 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
See the post ABOVE this one thats what I am talking about

-- Christopher

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I second your idea.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I third. I recall this coming up at least once in the past.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: CM84
No, I am not... for instance if I click on a item under the crayon lets say its NICK COLOR and lets say NOTICE is both white

so I pick a color I right by clicking on a color and then it goes to the COLOR CHANGER where I can change my coustom colors or make colors up by moving the little arrow up and down on the color square to make coustom colors so if I change it to lets say a very light orange ANYTHING that was WHITE turns to that orange color

THATS what I am talking about they need to change where EACH item under MIRC acts idependantly and I can set coustom colors for each one individuly and NOT have them all change to that color bc the other ones were white

- Christopher

Which is exactly what I meant...unless you're suggesting each line type should have 16 individual custom colours associated with it, which would be stupid.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You have 16 different colours to choose from. The palette refers to colour *indexes*.. this is a *FEATURE*, not a bug. It means you can (*IF YOU WANT*) share a colour between multiple event types without changing the colour for each event. If you don't want to share the colour, you select another custom colour from the palette. You should have more than enough colours to work with to create the colour scheme you want unless you want every single event to have its own colour, in which case I hope to god you're not a girl and/or don't dress yourself or put on your own makeup or touch anything revolving around colours.

Long story short, you can easily have two events use two colours by selecting a different palette colour *index* for each of the events. If you share the index among event types, they will obviously share whatever colour you choose for that index. Separate the events into different colour indexes, problem solved. This isn't a problem with mIRC, just your ability to configure it.

edit: if you still think this is a problem, then your issue really is with mIRC's 16 colour indexes not being enough for you, and Collective was in fact right. Otherwise, properly configuring mIRC's colours should be enough to make you as happy as you were on xchat.

Last edited by argv0; 22/07/08 09:34 PM.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
C
CM84 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Actually No, I am 100% Male laugh

I still think and I have others that agree that it should all function independantly each one can have its OWN color set. I guess its because I have add so each one being a different color would catch my eye than 2 being the same color. I mean Xchat is that way you can set a color for EACH event.

XCHAT, has the MIRC color bar system then LOCAL COLORS at the bottom. Thats what gave me the IDEA that MIRC should let each color function on its own and each one individually be set thus having it set to alot of different colors.

C
CM84 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Actually No it wouldnt be stupid... It would allow each thing to be set to whatever you want and not have something change to the same color. for instance if NICK COLOR was white and NOTICE was white well if you change NICK COLOR to cyan well its gonna change NOTICE to white I think thats sorta redundant.

Why not let us have our OWN color system and let each event have its own color scheme?

And NO I dont mean each one have its own 16 colors I mean Unlimited. To where If I set NICK COLOR to Cyan it doesnt change NOTICES to CYAN just because they were both white each one should be able to function on its own thus having an unlimited color pallete.

Last edited by CM84; 23/07/08 09:03 AM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You don't seem to comprehend this simple fact:

You CAN have different colours for EACH event.

What part of that statement do you not understand?

Instead of refusing to admit you can, perhaps you should ask how, or re-read the above posts and follow the instructions. It's possible, I do it all the time.

Quote:
To where If I set NICK COLOR to Cyan it doesnt change NOTICES to CYAN just because they were both white each one should be able to function on its own thus having an unlimited color pallete.

In this case, it would change NOTICES to cyan because they share the same colour.. You can FIX this by simply CHANGING notices from cyan to another colour in the palette (DONT right click the same slot, left click another) and THEN change the colour for that slot. Make sure you choose a slot that is NOT in use by another colour, otherwise modifying it will also change the other event. It should be easy to find a slot that isn't in use by anything else.

Again, this will work for 16 different events. You're limited to that amount. It shouldn't be a problem.. if it is, you're asking for unlimited amount of colours, NOT some deep-rooted change in the colour system.

Here's some simple math:

There are ~30 different items that can be coloured using Alt-k.

There are 16 different colour slots/indexes to choose from.

3 of the ~30 items are backgrounds, and many of the remaining items are related (editbox text colour, second editbox text colour, listbox colour, treebar item colour, and then join/part,kick/ban). By my estimation, that leaves roughly 20 "non-similar" items to be colourized, very close to the 16 colours available to be used.

But realistically, themes rarely ever use more than 6 or 7 colours and generally only 3-4 of those are commonly used, the others being for more rare occasions (like the notify event or "gray list" items). If you hit 16, you're either trying to draw a rainbow with mIRC or you were a clown in your past life. It really should not be an issue.

If mIRC *were* to somehow allow "individual" colours for each item, it would then be *impossible* to do something like:

//echo 4 -a hi

and expect it to echo whatever colour was set to the 4th colour index in alt-k. You would have to manually specify the colour you wanted either via some $rgb() identifier or using $color(). That is ridiculous, and it's probably never going to happen in mIRC's lifetime. The ability to refer to colours by their palette index is a far better approach, and I pity xchat greatly if it doesn't have this behaviour.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
C
CM84 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
First off loose the 'tude.. Im not getting one with you... dont get one with me.. And seriously theres no need for name calling so grow up and act like an adult here.

Now...regarding what you said.....

I tried that when I first installed mirc everthing is green.... under the crayon except for a few... I tried what you said but when I change one it makes them all that color even if I try to click on it and make it a different color... and even if you do go straight in and change all the green ones to the default 16 colors it still changes or another. bc those 16 a couple is already used on there. so its like pointless.

And you know.. There is NOTHING wrong with xchat so theres no need to bash it.

S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
I think you're too used to XChat and need to get used to mIRC. :\

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Not all 16 colours are used by any theme, so no, if you change notices to something like colour index 10 (defaults to turquoise), it will not be changed by any other colour.

Your problem here isn't with mIRC, its with your understanding of a simple concept that mIRC uses a colour *palette* which is DESIGNED to make it easy to share colours without needing to redundantly assign a colour five times over (a useful feature to just about everyone but you. I personally wouldn't want to have to click 10 events just to make every single one black when I can just make them share the same index and do this via one /color command). To give different events unique colours you need to give them unique palette indexes using this system-- you haven't successfully done this yet, apparently, or your reply would not have been "it still changes all my colours". I'm not sure how many times this can be repeated: choose a colour index/slot that is *not* in use by anything else.. I do not believe that every slot is taken. If so, humour me and switch to mIRC's default colour scheme which does not make use of all colours. You will be able to change your colours then.

I'm not being rude, I'm attempting to explain this *feature* to you but I continue repeating myself over and over because you're more focused on your own frustration with your inability to configure mIRC than with understanding how mIRC actually needs to be configured. Your request probably won't be taken seriously until you show that you understand how the feature is intended to work. Once you do, you'll see that the only real issue here is the limitation of only being able to assign 16 slots, which you still claim is not the problem.

On a sidenote, there is plenty wrong with xchat and I won't even bother getting into it. But that's why you're here telling us how you want to switch to mIRC if one feature gets "fixed" instead of happily using xchat, where you presumably say nothing is wrong, isn't it?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Doesn't mean there are no other options..

Eclipse allows you to syntax highlight to a great extend but its all neatly grouped so to change all the statements at once you just click the "statements" stacker header and select a colour. Or select the colour for "if" to a different color. Where "if" is neatly grouped under the "statements" stacker header. The same could work for mIRC

Code:
Mode     []
-voice   []
-devoice []

where [] is a small colour box.
I personally dont like my chats to resemble a 70's poster but for those that do the possibility to do it neatly without doing away with the palete based colouring is definatly there.

Last edited by Mpdreamz; 28/07/08 11:28 PM.

$maybe
C
CM84 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey MPD,

So Eclipse is script and where did you find it at?

Thanks,
Christopher

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Eclipse is a Java editor (like Dreamweaver and stuff) but for Java.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Okay... here this is the problem... I start out with this...

Then I go a change the 4th color along the bottem and get...

Um... WTF? This is completely counter-intuitive. What does the 16 color palate have to do with events? The 16 color palate is for external messages... not local ones. Or that's the way things work. The colors I see should have nothing to do with what others see.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard