mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
I'm running Windows Vista (Ultimate). I have a limited account setup for my children. I would like them to be able to use mIRC (version 6.32), but this program requires being run as an Administrator on Vista.

Running as an Administrator would give the children access to other things on the computer they should not get at.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
While I don't have a Vista machine available at this time, I believe that mIRC only requires the Administrator account for the installation, not the execution.

S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
I'm having this same problem (except I'm the child, not the parent).

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I just tested this by creating a limited user account on my Vista system- it worked fine.

Exactly what is the error message you're getting that makes you think it won't work from a limited account?

One potential problem I can imagine is if you have the mirc.ini file in your C:\Program Files\mIRC folder. This might cause permission errors from a limited account. The correct way to handle multi-user setups in mIRC from vista on is to store the mirc.ini in the AppData folder of the respective user-- this is the default setting in a clean install for mIRC 6.3 onwards, but if you upgraded from a pre-6.3 version of mIRC, you'd need to (re)move the mirc.ini file from program files to get proper multi-user functionality.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Followup from this post:

I was able to reproduce the wonky behaviour with parental controls on in a limited account. This should probably be classified as a bug rather than a feature suggestion.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard