mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
I'd also like to see this implemented. Have a simple check box and possibly some kind of throttle if that's needed. Make sure the basic version of Mirc has it unchecked. Those that need it and know how to use it can check the box.

Honestly, I doubt if more than 5% of the people would check the box. And those 5% are the ones who are using /who $chan when they join anyway.

Yar
R
RRX Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
Sure about that?
Suppose mIRC does request the addresses of the existing people in the joined channels.
It means a script has to wait for all received before being sure to have the address available.
Does this make life easier for scripters?

It still can't be done in the same processing cycle.
They still need to split the code up as is the case now.

The most occurring IAL related problem that I see is that scripters try to scram it all together in one code which doesn't work if mIRC has to request the used data from the IRC server.

Suppose mIRC does auto-request it upon own join.
Can we tell them now that they can do that?
No.
Because the chance is there that it isn't present yet.
And they're not gonna accept that it 'sometimes' fails.
I wouldn't too.
What's the gain of this feature then?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I still don't understand what you think the benefit is for most users. Having the IAL filled is useless for the vast majority of people who just use mIRC for chatting and don't script. For scripters, 90% of the time when they believe they need the IAL they can actually use $fulladdress and other event identifiers which provide the relevant information when it's most often needed so an auto-filled IAL is redundant. Even when it is needed, as RRX pointed out mIRC still cannot guarantee that the IAL will be filled at any given moment so it doesn't make anything simpler for the scripter - they must still be able to write code that can put in an immediate userhost query (waiting for mIRC to query it itself could be a long time depending on the channel size and where it is in the list) and then write code to do something with the response. Nothing is gained.

As for a continuously updated IAL, I don't really see what users get from that anyway. Knowing which users have IRCOp status is beyond useless, the only thing I can see anyone using that for is trolls knowing when they should behave and when they think the can get away with murder. Knowing the away status of every user on every channel is also, generally, useless (especially when it will only be accurate to the nearest 5-20 minutes). Even when you're speaking in the channel it really doesn't matter what 90% of the users are doing, you'll only ever really be speaking to a handful of users at any one time. For PMs obviously the server will tell you if someone is away, anywhere else the user can append [AWAY] or something to their nick if they think their status is really that important that everyone should know it. The network usage doesn't justify the very limited usefulness IMO.

Even the ISON system for notify lists - which is a great deal less network intensive, is widely considered poor and many networks have dropped the challenge-response method in favour of WATCH lists which allow servers to provide the updates as and when they happen instead of requiring a constant barrage of "are they online yet?" queries from every client. If the away status of users is so important to you you should be bugging IRCd developers about developing some kind of WATCHSTATUS that would have the servers sending a raw for status updates of users sharing channels (or perhaps just ones the user has asked to track - just like WATCH does). Asking mIRC to half-ass a feature on the client-side with an awful implementation method is the wrong way this feature should come about.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: YouStinkBAD

I don't think anyone else here has any idea what the intent of the /userhost command is.

Because we don't agree with you? lol you're killin' me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard