mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#201458 28/06/08 09:46 PM
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
I believe there should be an option where the user can select if he prefers the new irc text to appear at the bottom of each window and scroll up when new text is typed, or if he prefers the new text to appear at the top part of each window, and as new text is appear the text to scroll down.

Personally, I believe it is more convenient the new text to appear at the top part of the screen and old text at the bottom. This is natural also with the style of web - most important information is placed on top side (here most important info is new typed text). I feel a bit confused seeing the text to scroll up from bottom, and not to scroll down from top.

An option should be available. smile

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I disagree on the bit where you say 'style of the web'. at most forums for instance, all new posts get added to the bottom of a thread. in a piece of text, you start reading at the top and work your way down.

only place I can think of that puts the latest at the top is a 'news page' on websites, where you always want the latest news to be the first people see.

I personally like this style how it is now and frankly don't see why it should change. to me having it read the other way around would be totally counter intuitive.

when reading from bottom to top, you read a sentence, which might span over more then 1 line, then have to look up where the next message starts etc. it takes much more effort.

when reading from top to bottom, you can just keep reading like you normally would, at the end of the sentence, you switch to the left and a bit lower and can start reading instantly again.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Doqnach #201510 29/06/08 06:48 PM
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
i think he wants an option to have it either way..
but then again, you can do it in a dialog

This is not the signature you are looking for

Link Copied to Clipboard