mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
noybman Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
N
My problem is MAYBE vista + mirc related. Im hoping for an answer, and at the very least looking to see if anyone agree's that they too have this issue.

I am running 2 mirc's. (both 6.31). I have Vista ultimate.
So I have 2 mircs installed in C:\program files\ . Each has its own folder name. Its own shortcut to start it. They are set to xp compat. mode, and run as admin. The shortcut property has the -r "C:\pro..." option in the target path.
Both directories have their own MIRC.INI.

The problem I was having was intermittien it seemed. (didnt always occur), but for whatever reason seems to be pretty consistent now!

When I reboot, or whatever, and I load mirc up, both copies retain all of their server info's and settings, BUT, the mirc running the scripts (bot); FORGETS THE LOADED SCRIPTS!

It loses all the variables, etc. Remotes is empty! everything is gone!

I have to do a /load -rs PATHTOSCRIPT\SCRIPTNAME.MRC
for all scripts to get them back into memory.

Where is MIRC storing this and why does it keep losing my scripts and variables?

HELP!

PS: system restore is NOT on. It's not a Vista restore point thing.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Although you're running two different mIRC installations from two different locations, because of the change that I quoted below, your settings and variables are both saved in Application Data\mIRC. Check the highlighted portion for a solution to your problem.

From versions.txt

16/08/2007 - mIRC v6.3

Changes:
20. For Vista compatibility, new installations of mIRC now save all
settings in the User's "Application Data\mIRC" folder by default.

However, if the installer or mIRC find mirc.ini in the same folder
as mirc.exe they will use the mirc.exe folder for all settings.
Users installing over an old version of mIRC should therefore see
no change in behaviour.

The installer is now also aware of administrator and standard user
accounts and installs mIRC accordingly.

N
noybman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Ummmm, No.

read my post.

---> I have mirc.ini 's
and while that was true upon initial installation, it is no longer true. The mirc folder and files no longer exist inside my users profile because of the "-r" and the mirc.ini

oh PS, yes, the program files\mirc path is writable by the user, system, and admin.

Last edited by noybman; 27/06/08 01:21 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The passage Rock quoted tells you that if you're keeping mirc.ini in the same folder with mirc.exe, you don't need the -r switch. The scripts are "remembered" by being in the [rfiles] section of mirc.ini, so if your mirc.ini is getting trashed and then re-created the next time mIRC starts, then that's why scripts would become unloaded. When mirc.ini gets recreated, it goes back to the default filenames for variables storage, so if you're not keeping variables in the place where mIRC looks, ie vars.ini, they will appear to disappear.

As for why mirc.ini disappears on you, i dunno. I've had encounters with quite a few users who've had mirc.ini get zapped, but that usually happened intermittently when their pc happened to crash while mirc.ini was being written to. I haven't verified this is still happening to them with newer mIRC versions, and none of them was having mirc.ini consistently disappearing on them.

N
noybman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Rock & the passage he quoted never said anything about using (or not using) the -r switch. It just indicated that I needed to use a mirc.ini in the mirc.exe folder which I had already written I did. (thanks rock).

But you are right, I have both. And the files are storing data logs etc inside the correct associated mirc.exe folder.

My curious question, is where are the variables that my scripts create stored? I do see [rfiles] containing my scripts paths, but after loading them (the scripts) and using them; the scripts editor shows me the variables- but after this reboot problem occurs- the scripts editor is blank & my scripts are no longer loaded.

I dont think mirc.ini is vanishing, or at least I've never seen it vanish. just the above behavior where everything I have "set" and "load'd" is MIA!GONE.
---
Soooo, as a start, with MIRC.INI there, should I turn OFF the -r switch? Is it redundant or harmful? May having -r & mirc.ini be the cause of the problem?

I will look at the installed folders next time *BEFORE* even starting mirc to see if mirc.ini is mia or corrupt/false/old date /default copy. Please advise whether I should use the -r or not and is there anything else I should check?

I appreciate the suggestions & the help. Thanks!

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
having 2 seperate installs, each with a mirc.ini in their own directory, makes the -r redundant indeed. the -r switch is used to specify which ini files mIRC has to use if you don't want the default. and the default in this case is the one which is in the same folder as the exe.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
First of all let's make sure there isn't a simple problem causing issues here: Make sure your mirc.ini isn't set to read-only. It's unlikely to be the cause but we might aswell make sure before we move onto anything more involved.

A far more likely problem is Vista's folder virtualisation messing with mIRC's ability to write to the file and read the same information back. I know you've said you've got write access to it but that's not necessarily going to stop Vista from quietly deciding it knows better than you.

I'd strongly suggest setting up your mIRCs to store their settings somewhere outside of your Program Files directory. Either use the -r switch to tell mIRC to store the files elsewhere (eg, a subdirectory of your user directory) or install mIRC outside of Program Files (eg. C:\mIRC) and put a mirc.ini in that folder.

I'm confident this will fix all your problems. Even if it doesn't it will remove the most likely suspect from the list and help find the true problem.

By the way I don't think there's any need to run mIRC in XP compatability mode. It might even hinder mIRC's ability to recognise that it's running in Vista and compensate for virtualisation.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
N
noybman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
First of all let's make sure there isn't a simple problem causing issues here: Make sure your mirc.ini isn't set to read-only. It's unlikely to be the cause but we might aswell make sure before we move onto anything more involved.

A far more likely problem is Vista's folder virtualisation messing with mIRC's ability to write to the file and read the same information back. I know you've said you've got write access to it but that's not necessarily going to stop Vista from quietly deciding it knows better than you.

I'd strongly suggest setting up your mIRCs to store their settings somewhere outside of your Program Files directory. Either use the -r switch to tell mIRC to store the files elsewhere (eg, a subdirectory of your user directory) or install mIRC outside of Program Files (eg. C:\mIRC) and put a mirc.ini in that folder.

I'm confident this will fix all your problems. Even if it doesn't it will remove the most likely suspect from the list and help find the true problem.

By the way I don't think there's any need to run mIRC in XP compatability mode. It might even hinder mIRC's ability to recognise that it's running in Vista and compensate for virtualisation.

I so dont want to store the files "elsewhere" but it is worth a try. I will relocate them and continue using the -r to the new location.
I will also set it OFF of xp mode. And report back here.
Basically, the behavior Im seeing is like a rollback. but I dunno where it gets teh info to rollback to.

N
noybman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted By: noybman
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia

I so dont want to store the files "elsewhere" but it is worth a try. I will relocate them and continue using the -r to the new location.
I will also set it OFF of xp mode. And report back here.
Basically, the behavior Im seeing is like a rollback. but I dunno where it gets teh info to rollback to.

ok, I reinstalled since 6.33 is out. I was having probs so I totally reinstalled. I stuck it in "programs" and I made a mirc.ini file and didnt need to use the -r option.

It seems to be working atm. I'll post back in a few weeks.

Notes:
NO Program Files
NO -r
Yes mirc.ini locally in mirc installed directory with the mirc.exe

reloaded all scripts from scratch.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You can't use Program Files\ in vista because of file virtualization. Vista cannot write to anything inside program files, virtualizing the written data to a safe place outside program files instead. It's not *always* read back in the same way it's written out, so mIRC can easily "not see" the mirc.ini it wrote last time and try to write a fresh one.

Long story short: This is the reason AppData is now the default behaviour. Don't use Program Files\, it will just make your life more complicated.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
N
noybman Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted By: argv0
You can't use Program Files\ in vista because of file virtualization. Vista cannot write to anything inside program files, virtualizing the written data to a safe place outside program files instead. It's not *always* read back in the same way it's written out, so mIRC can easily "not see" the mirc.ini it wrote last time and try to write a fresh one.

Long story short: This is the reason AppData is now the default behaviour. Don't use Program Files\, it will just make your life more complicated.

Sigh. I suppose this reply may shun anyone else willing to help, but It really really rreally needs to be said.
I am really kind of tired of people in this world that make comments and suggest for you to do exactly what you have already done & stated you have done. No offense argv() [lol @ the nick choice, cool] but if you had read what I've done, especially most recently, then you'd see I no longer have mirc installed in "program files" anymore.

And the problem still remains.

Hopefully someone can help. Please dont think of me as a troll. Im just having this non-graceful non "stateful" frustrating issue drive me nuts. Its just extra frustrating to have people to tell you what you've already done or tried.

So, the description of the problem now, seems to be that it is NOT losing my scripts anymore (at least it hasn't recently). But the variables are still vanishing.

So for example, if you open the scripts editor, the scripts in aliases, remotes, etc are still there, but the "variables" section is blank. This appears to happen after power outages, or computer resets. Not sure what really is causing it to be truthful. It's not a 100% reproducable issue. And it only happens with Mirc. All of my other programs and settings are fine.

Thanks!

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Have you tried installing mIRC to a location like c:\mIRC rather than copy & pasting or moving the files after they were installed?

I am unable to test this suggestion, as I don't have a Vista machine (and I don't want one either.. too many complications for my liking).

Link Copied to Clipboard