Print Thread
#201107 20/06/08 12:51 AM
B
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
B
Hello all,

I am looking for someone or an expert perhaps to code a translation script using www.freetranslation.com to output results in another language. I dont think I have seen such a script to use this site. So am I wondering if this can be done.

Thanks for everything in advance,

Jay

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
If you're asking if it can be done, then yes. However, its is a bit complex. You'd need to use sockets in order to send the data and then receive the translation. however, it won't be instant; There will be some lag due to the time it takes to send the data, to process it, and then send the translation back. Depedning on your internet speed, you're looking at anywhere from 2 to 15 seconds (give or take).

There are scripts out there that do this kind of thing, though none that I know of use that site. The Altavista translator is the one most people use.

I'd recommend you find one of those, as there isn't much sense in re-inventing the wheel. smile

Yar
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unless you're on dialup or your script is badly written, it shouldn't take anywhere near 15 seconds for this sort of script. Socket scripts that need to get a LOT of data and work with it in different ways can take longer, but for something as simple as displaying a translation, it shouldn't be anywhere beyond a couple of seconds. My dictionary script (which would have basically the same speed) starts outputting data in about 2 seconds except if lagging badly on the IRC network itself. An echo to yourself would be avoid the network lag and should always be fast.

Anyhow, it wouldn't be too difficult to make, though it probably is already done by someone.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Riamus2: While what you said is very true, I wanted to make sure it was understood that this could take a bit of time in some cases. The link in the first post took about two seconds to generate the data. Figure another half second to to seconds for the server on Mirc to display it, and you're looking at about three to four seconds. I'm on cable, so you'd need to adjust that for dial up. smile

Yar

Link Copied to Clipboard