Print Thread
#201068 18/06/08 12:32 PM
J
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
J
Hi,

I have some stats on my network that constantly need to be logged, which right now my mIRC bot does, however my connection isn't the best and sometimes my mIRC bot gets disconnected and stays disconnected until I get home from work hours later.

A solution to this problem was suggested that I use an eggdrop, but I must say, TCL scripting looks confusing. I talked to someone and they said it's possible to convert mIRC scripts into TCL; possible or not? If so, how?

I've seen a DLL that enables you to use a TCL script in mIRC; is there something like that only the exact opposite that will allow you to run mIRC scripts in eggdrop?

Here's a good time mIRC would be useful on a *nix machine! :P Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe_Dean #201069 18/06/08 12:36 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
No. mIRC's language requires mIRC to run, whereas TCL is a general purpose language that happens to be used by the eggdrop software.

I would suggest, however, that whatever script it is you need, there exists one for an eggdrop. Eggdrops have been around as long if not longer than mIRC has and are extremely popular for bot usage. I think it's highly likely you would find what you're looking for on google or at least something close to what you need that you could easily modify.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Joe_Dean #201071 18/06/08 02:20 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

# Eggdrop is capable of logging various things, from channel chatter to
# commands people use on the bot and file transfers. Logfiles are normally
# kept for 24 hours. Afterwards, they will be renamed to "(logfile).yesterday".
# After 48 hours, they will be overwritten by the logfile of the next day.
#
# Events are logged by certain categories. This way, you can specify
# exactly what kind of events you want sent to various logfiles.
#
# Logfile flags:
# b - information about bot linking and userfile sharing
# c - commands
# d - misc debug information
# h - raw share traffic
# j - joins, parts, quits, and netsplits on the channel
# k - kicks, bans, and mode changes on the channel
# m - private msgs, notices and ctcps to the bot
# o - misc info, errors, etc (IMPORTANT STUFF)
# p - public text on the channel
# r - raw incoming server traffic
# s - server connects, disconnects, and notices
# t - raw botnet traffic
# v - raw outgoing server traffic
# w - wallops (make sure the bot sets +w in init-server)
# x - file transfers and file-area commands

You may not need a scripted solution at all. If any of the above logs what you need, simply setup the eggdrop.conf file.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
Joe_Dean #201072 18/06/08 02:42 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: Joe_Dean

I talked to someone and they said it's possible to convert mIRC scripts into TCL; possible or not? If so, how?

They probably didn't mean that there is a program that would automatically convert it for you, but that you could possibly find someone who knows both languages that could convert it for you. Basically just making a TCL version of your mIRC script.

Joe_Dean #201074 18/06/08 02:54 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
In addition to what others have said, there's always the possibility of Windows-based hosting to allow mIRC to run on a remote server.

Or, if the information the bot takes doesn't need to be accessible at any time (eg. if you're the only one who uses the information it logs) then you could use regular eggdrop logging to keep a continuous record and then sync the eggdrop's logs with your bot each time you reconnect.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Joe_Dean #201075 18/06/08 04:03 PM
J
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
J
I mean a different kind of logging... long story, but not the kind of logging as in logging commands used, etc.

I was a bit interested in the windows server idea, only wouldn't that require root access to the server or something?

I have a reseller account from my hosting provider, which enables me to choose between windows or linux, but I've never messed around with the windows hosting so I'm not sure of the in's and out's of windows-based hosting. If you don't need root access, how exactly does using mIRC on windows-based hosting work? I imagine you don't go uploading exe's... :P

Joe_Dean #201076 18/06/08 04:57 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Why wouldn't you imagine that? You're allowed to install "exe"s on any unix dedicated host even without root access, except theyre binaries.. or sometimes they're just shell scripts with just as much power. I'm sure Windows servers have the same kind of privileged user protection that would keep your non-admin account from doing damage to anything you shouldn't.

The host would obviously have to give you the permissions to install exes, and you'd also need some kind of remote login/vnc interface so you could login to the UI and run mIRC. Most hosts that offer this kind of stuff are pretty pricey, but they exist all over the place... of course, it's way cheaper and easier to just convert your script to Tcl. I doubt it's as hard as you make it sound. If you can write mIRC script, you can write Tcl.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
argv0 #201128 20/06/08 04:15 PM
J
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
J
Can you link me to such a service provider that hosts applications, mainly mIRC?

Joe_Dean #201129 20/06/08 04:43 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
When I said it wasn't cheap, I meant it. I doubt your mIRC script is worth the hosting options. But okay.. a quick google search for "windows dedicated hosting" will do you well.

I found:

http://www.3essentials.com/windows-dedicated-servers.asp
http://www.enterhost.com/dedicatedhosting/

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
argv0 #201131 20/06/08 05:47 PM
J
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
J
lol, dedicated server? I didn't think you were implying dedicated when you said companies offer that kind of service.

I don't quite understand though - if you don't need root access to the server, why go dedicated? That's basically the only advantage of dedicated is to have more control over the machine...

Joe_Dean #201133 20/06/08 05:51 PM
J
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
J
What I meant was, isn't there some kind of company that will host a windows application for you for a small fee?

Link Copied to Clipboard