mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
AWEstun Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
A
I was wondering if I could put my scripts and data on a USB flash/mini drive? This way I could use them on different computers, yet still have the latest updated scripts/data. For example, when I'm working at the computer I use the powerful almightly desktop, but when I'm doing other things, like sleeping, I could run a much smaller laptop. Would this work? The only thing concerning me is that the USB drive would be a different drive letter on each computer. I guess I could set up an autobat to upload the info to the computer and mIRC's directory. Then save the scripts/data back to the USB drive upon exit. Is there a better way?

EDIT: I guess I could assign the same upper non-used drive letter to it on each computer I use it.

I registered; you should too.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Why don't you run mIRC completely off your USB stick like I do, 100% of mirc is ran off my usb stick so wherever I go my mirc follows me with all the scripts pre-loaded

What I did during the mirc install is instead of it writting to C:\program files\ blah i changed the drive letter corresponding to the flash drive then wrote all my scripts since.

Code:
if $reality > $fiction { set %sanity Sane }
Else { echo -a *voices* }
A
AWEstun Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
A
Hum, so it doesn't matter what drive letter the USB stick gets on a different computer since you are launching mIRC from the USB stick, right?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: AWEstun
Hum, so it doesn't matter what drive letter the USB stick gets on a different computer since you are launching mIRC from the USB stick, right?

mIRC will work fine. Your scripts may not, depending on whether or not they use hardcoded paths.

A
AWEstun Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
A
Originally Posted By: Collective
Originally Posted By: AWEstun

mIRC will work fine. Your scripts may not, depending on whether or not they use hardcoded paths.

They don't.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
If you are going to run mIRC off a flash drive on seperate computers... make sure you use it with the command line switch "-portable" when you run it. This tells it to install/use the directory mIRC is installed in to save the mirc.ini (and scripts and all that jazz), as well as tell it not to use the registry.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
If your scripts don't work they're loaded by hardcoded paths. reload them using relative paths and make sure this is reflected in mirc.ini in the [afiles] [rfiles] and [pfiles] sections. (You could do this manually too). You don't need -portable to load the mirc.ini from the same directory, this is done automatically if it's there.. you might need it to avoid using the registry though.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
AWEstun Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
A
Originally Posted By: MeStinkBAD
If you are going to run mIRC off a flash drive on seperate computers... make sure you use it with the command line switch "-portable" when you run it. This tells it to install/use the directory mIRC is installed in to save the mirc.ini (and scripts and all that jazz), as well as tell it not to use the registry.

Thanks for that tip.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
that's why when your running a portable version of MIRC you should always write your scripts with $mircdir instead of H:\ etc.. or whatever

Code:
if $reality > $fiction { set %sanity Sane }
Else { echo -a *voices* }
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
$scriptdir please.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
$mircdir please (or a subdirectory of it).

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Or a healthy mix of both as your very explanation suggests.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC

Link Copied to Clipboard