mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Dimitry Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
I think it would be very neat to make any future upcoming mIRC versions to be able to display the box that the particular mIRC client is running on. For example, when someone does a ctcp version (/ctcp Nick version), it will display this, for example,:

mIRC v6.03 Khaled Mardam-Bey [i686/1469Mhz]

Xchat client (www.xchat.org) does it like that. I think that is pretty neat. Developers, please take this into consideration.

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
It might be neat but personally, I don't see what relevance this kind of information has. What kind of box another person uses has absolutely no relevance on IRC. In addition, I think it's somewhat of a privacy issue. Not everybody would be interested in other people finding out this information about them.

IF this were to be implemented, it might be better to have it be optional ... and turned off by default.

My 2 cents. smile

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
I agree with Dana - but there is one more important reason you might think about. Let's assume you have a operating system and it has a bug which allows an evil person to access your computer and do "bad things" like stealing password, damaging your computer and much more. Those evil people would have an easy tool to determine what OS you have and know that they can attack you. Just think about this scenario frown

Another 2 cents smile

DALnet: #HelpDesk, #mIRC, #MISHScript - Undernet: #mIRC, #mIRC-Scripts
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
merlin ur 100% right about that point ... i remember back when windows had a media bug from that con/con/con thing back a few years ago ..... ppl would go around just for the $%$% of it playing a file that no one could possibly have just to see someone get bumped offline ...... why post somethin that could show ur vulnerabilities

D3m0nnet.com
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Ok you're right, there are a lot of inconveniences to this.

By there are advantages too.

I am often contacted for help about a computer or a particular program, and it's often usefull to know some data like that.

For example if someone ask about a specific Winodws feature and I know this feature is not on all version of Windows or different from version to version, then I will need to know what version of Windows is there.

While most people can tell what version of Windows they are using, most of the time they can't tell what CPU it is or how much memory they have.

I realize from your comments that having this information through a CTCP is not a good idea, but I would be happy to see an option in mIRC to send it from a conscient action. Like that I would tell the user to hit for example Ctrl+P and I would get the info I need from the user without the need to tell him how he could get that info for me.

Link Copied to Clipboard