mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#200190 29/05/08 06:43 PM
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
I'm really confused with dcc and fserve. I have no idea how to use it. I want to download files from this particular room/server...without having to actually "talk" to any of the users. How do I do that?

I_am_leaf #200212 29/05/08 09:09 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
CtrlAltDel #200213 29/05/08 09:35 PM
Z
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
so.. i guess the DCC option in mIRC is just for looks ... crazy

CtrlAltDel #200214 29/05/08 10:08 PM
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
nice read me - to bad people actually use it for sharing files of both legal format and illegal format - so instead of spewing out "this is not a file sharing program" you could simply tell him he doesn't need to talk to other people when downloading any files - he just simply needs to learn how to read what the "file sharing folks" are posting - most times it is a "msg nick xdcc send #x" or "ctcp nick xdcc send #x"

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How about a more direct statement, then?

mIRC is not meant for sharing illegal files and because that is the most common method of sharing files, we cannot support that feature in the official forums. For help, seek out other forums or ask in the channel(s).

Besides, anything that is related to channel rules/requirements or related to what another user is doing should be directed to that channel or user. They can help much more easily that we can. For all we know, that channel may not use what are considered standard commands for the servers. A question there that takes a few minutes solves the problem in less time than a question here that can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days depending when it's asked and how many people are around to answer.

Also, the fact that you are in the channel and especially the fact that you are downloading something already tells everyone there anything they need to know about your downloading habits (legal or otherwise). Not talking doesn't offer you any "protection."

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #200231 30/05/08 08:33 AM
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
That is so funny. If mIRC is concerned about illegal file sharing then why did they even put up the DCC option in the first place? Everybody knows this option can easily be "abused".

I only asked if there was a way to do it without having to talk because nobody ever replies to my chats. Otherwise I wouldn't even be here. I only wanted just one file from that particular Channel. And it seems like all the users are inactive.

What kind of "protection" should I be worried about? As mentioned by Riamus2? I don't get it.

Link Copied to Clipboard