mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#199865 23/05/08 02:20 AM
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
I'm not sure if it's possible to do this via script or not (if it is, I don't know how to, at any rate), but I would really appreciate a way to disable the buffer beep. By that, i mean the beep with every keypress once you have a certain number of characters in the send box. A single beep upon reaching the point that it begins beeping would be fine, but constant beeps with every keypress give me a headache.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
A single beep upon reaching the fill point of the buffer, would end up doing the same thing as you're currently complaining (for lack of a better term), if you enter a single keystroke at the same rate that the buffer empties a single character.
Truthfully I don't think there's a way around this, as, to my knowledge, this is part of the Windows OS, rather than mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
He's not referring to the buffer, but the edit line. The edit line doesn't empty characters, so changing it to a single beep at character X rather than a beep at every character from X on would work fine.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Considering he specified buffer in his post, it is reasonable to presume that a response would be based on that information.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah, I know where you got that from. But the subsequent sentence explains what he meant...

"By that, i mean the beep with every keypress once you have a certain number of characters in the send box."

It was just the wrong terminology used.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Yeah, I'm not incredibly familiar with the terminology, I've just heard to that referred to by people I chat with as "the buffer". So yeah, the edit line beep, I guess - all i know is it gives me a headache and I'm too noobish to know how to turn it off, if indeed it's possible.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It is, but you won't like the answer:

Control Panels -> Sounds and turn off the beep.

The reason being that this annoying noise doesn't come directly from mIRC, but from Windows, since it uses the RichEdit control for the editbox. This is a richedit behaviour.

Khaled could override this behaviour in mIRC, but if you don't like beeping, you might as well turn off the sound globally anyway- I can't imagine anyone selectively liking a sound that supposedly gives them a headache.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Well, see, the problem is that it does it with every keystroke. If it would just beep once when you hit the limit and not every time you hit a key thereafter, it'd be fine, and I like having the message notification beep (you know, where it beeps when a message comes in on a window that's not the active one). It's just the constant beeping that gives me headaches.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Answer is simple.. once you hear that beep, press the Enter key to send the message to the channel/pm window. This will then clear the 'buffer' and allow you to start typing a new line/message until you get the beep (again) or until your message is complete.

I realize this isn't ideal, but as stated, the other choice (at this time) is to turn off the sound completely.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Why would you keep typing if you're over the server limit?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Originally Posted By: RusselB
Answer is simple.. once you hear that beep, press the Enter key to send the message to the channel/pm window. This will then clear the 'buffer' and allow you to start typing a new line/message until you get the beep (again) or until your message is complete.

I realize this isn't ideal, but as stated, the other choice (at this time) is to turn off the sound completely.

*sighs* Thanks...I guess I'll just have to put up with the headaches. If any developers out there are reading, I and quite a few of my friends would -really- appreciate the ability to change the limit at which the beep happens, make it give only a single beep when you first hit the character limit and not beep again (or maybe beep again when you hit twice the character limit or something), or turn off the beeping due to having reached the character limit altogether without disabling the other notification beeps. I don't know how viable that is to do, but if you can...we'd be ever so grateful. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: argv0
Why would you keep typing if you're over the server limit?

I have a cutscript that will let me send approximately 3 times the server limit at once, by automatically cutting it into 3 posts to send at once.

Link Copied to Clipboard