mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
This seems like an error that hasn't been brought up in a while(I don't think this problem has been answered in over three years, though it was asked just over a year ago by someone else), but here's how it goes:

* Connecting to irc.irchighway.net (6667)
-
* Send error ([10013] Permission denied)
-
* Disconnected
-
* Not connected to server
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.irchighway.net (6666)
-
* Send error ([10013] Permission denied)
-
* Disconnected
-
* Not connected to server

and so on. It'll continue like that for however many times. I've looked for the cause for about an hour now, and I can't seem to find it. I made sure Windows Live OneCare was allowing all the ports and the irc protocol, and when tinkering with that didn't do anything, I temporarily turned the firewall off and decided, when that didn't help, that such a thing had nothing to do with it. Then I went into the router settings and tried enabling a DMZ for my computer (instead of taking the time to tinker with allowing the individual ports like with OneCare, to not repeat past mistakes), and since that didn't help I'm positive that neither of these things are affecting this error at all. Since having it return error 10013 pretty much means it isn't something happening on the server side (plus I've tried 3 other servers today, and it failed connecting to all of them in the same way).

Opening ports to the internet wouldn't do anything more than enabling the DMZ, so can someone tell me what I might need to do (even though I've done all this, I'm pretty router-illiterate (yes, literacy isn't the right word for it, I know), so if port-forwarding does something different tell me), and I use a Linksys router. I saw ParaBrat's topic that had a link to the Linksys website for information on port-forwarding, but that honestly didn't get me anywhere, so please help in some way OTHER than indirect links. (but if you have a link directly to a page that will help, as opposed to a website that has a hidden answer somewhere, feel free to post it)

Thanks for all your help in advance. I'd really like to get into this server by the end of tomorrow. (oh, and just so everyone knows, I could always get into this server in one try before today, and I haven't changed ANY irc settings, ident is enabled, the port for ident is allowed due to the DMZ, and I have not downloaded any firewall-like programs in over a month, while the last time i connected to this server was yesterday)

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Whilst I dont have any help for a solution I did use google and found this CLICK HERE

Hopefully it will put you on the right path to fix your problem.

Happy mIRC user on Linux
H
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
Eheh... I thought I requested to not be taken to such broad areas... it's kind of insulting that you'd assume I hadn't run a pass through every search engine for an ACTUAL solution to this. Trust me, nothing that answers my question is there.

Anyway, maybe this will help some other people help me? When I completely uninstall and reinstall mIRC, it will at least get through the message of the day (but only the FIRST time I run mIRC after I do this), THEN it will say that it's checking my client for trojans, then it gives me the 10013 permission denied and immediately disconnects me. After I try to connect at any point after this (including changing any settings, or closing the mirc window and bringing up another one), it goes immediately to the 10013 permission denied. Is the client receiving this error when the SecureServ is trying to check for Trojans or something?

Please post anything that's actually LIKELY to help me out. I have already used search engines, and checked websites for the general definition and "solution" (they never ACTUALLY give a way to fix it) to this error 10013. Thanks in advance. I'm hoping for more specific answers like I asked for in my first post.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Being abrasive is generally not the best way to ask for help. Bear in mind that helpers are volunteers and aren't obliged to help you at all. Since, as you're aware, the answer is not apparent elsewhere you'll likely have to put up with a fair amount of guesswork. So, here it goes:

The fact you're able to connect once and never again per install would definitely suggest that some form of security software is detecting and blocking mIRC, so I'd suggest completely disabling any and all anti-virus, firewall anti-spyware, etc. software you have (hint: OneCare). You should also try getting the latest updates for those programs.

You can also try using other IRC clients such as X-Chat. The worst it can do is prove it's not an mIRC-only issue.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Before you consider yourself "insulted" for being shown such a supposedly obvious link, perhaps you should at least act like you have seen that link before.

Had you clicked on Constantine's link and actually looked through the results you would have learned that the error is caused by disabling access to certain sockets. Putting two and two together you could easily figure out that firewalls are indeed responsible for disabling access to sockets.

Looking further, you would have found this. You would notice that this issue is had by people who use other applications, making it not likely to be the fault of mIRC. That post seems to also imply that the firewall is the likely culprit. That's 2 for 2 right there. I think that's enough evidence to narrow out a solution already, and we haven't even looked at page 2 of the results.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

You did see the dates on this thread right?

Link Copied to Clipboard