Print Thread
#199507 15/05/08 07:02 PM
T
T4K Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
I've been working on a legal irc channel with a friend to run xdcc bots. But we seem to hit a mile marker that mIRC does not support over 4gig files. In fact it stops right at 4.00GB. Most of our users use windows. There are the exception of those that use other clients that support over 4 gigs. Just wondering if this feature will be implemented in future releases of mIRC.

T4K

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I honestly doubt it, as file transfers that require that much information in a single file, usually contain or are illegal transfers.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Lets not go down this route. I sincerely doubt legality of files has any bearing on whether DCC will support very large file transfers in the future. The fact that the DCC protocol simply isn't designed for those kinds of transfers is a far better reason. Even then, it's hardly a major change to the program and if people want to use it then it's their time wasted, so there's no specific reason it shouldn't be added at some point.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
T
T4K Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: RusselB
I honestly doubt it, as file transfers that require that much information in a single file, usually contain or are illegal transfers.

I took offense to that since videos that are just 720p i.e. video game videos some take 1.6 gigs(20mins) imagine longer than that? I've had open source applications that use 4 plus gigs. I really would appreciate if we can have a 4+ gig support on mirc. I'm sorry if you think everything has to be illegal. But your usually comment makes it seems like EVERYTHING is illegal content. Hey X-Chat has it? Why can't mirc?

Last edited by T4K; 16/05/08 04:57 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
X-Chat, to my knowledge, is Unix/Linux based/ported, not Windows. mIRC is Windows based/ported, so it has to live with the limitations that are in Windows. As I said, I don't know if this is a Windows limitation or not, and I emphasized the word usually for the same reason, imo, that you emphasized the word legal in your original post.
I'm sorry if you took my comment to mean everything, as I didn't mean it that way, and if I had meant it that way, then I would've used the word everything.

That being said, if Khaled can and is willing to allow 4G+ transfers, more power to him and everyone that would like this.. and I am now finished with this topic.

K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
Wow, a troll that commit suicide, rare!

N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
Large File Support would be very nice!

Link Copied to Clipboard