mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
R
I just registered my copy of mIRC, and put in my personal email address to receive the activation (which happens to be my rl name). Now, when ever I join/part a channel, it shows *RoseThorn (~hayleyerz@RoseThorn.users.undernet.org) has joined #Daedalus*

Registration is the *only* place I entered my real address, and I just got this laptop. I'm wondering how to change that so it doesn't show my name. Any help is appreciated, my computer skills are woefully inadequate smile

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This has nothing to do with your registration of mIRC, but the information that you have supplied to undernet, probably their registration.

With mIRC up, but not connected, check the Full Name and E-mail address entries in the Connect section of the Options dialog. You can open this by pressing Alt + O

Is it you that sees the information that you posted, or do others see it as well? There are numerous places in mIRC where you will see specific information for your connection, but that information isn't shown to other users (exception possibly being IRCops on the specific network).

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you are referring to "hayleyerz", then that is your identd and/or e-mail settings in Alt-O. Make sure that isn't in either place (note that your e-mail that you put into mIRC doesn't have to be real).

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
OP Offline
R
It's not located anywhere in the Options tab... my user ID is Rosethorn. I'm registereted with X on Undernet's cService, but haven't put my personal email address in there anywhere either. The reason I was guessing registration is because it's the *only* time I've used my personal address for anything that has to do with IRC.

Other people are able to see this information, it was my boyfriend who is out of province that pointed it out to me.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You can't hide your X username on UnderNet (beyond simply not logging in to it).

R
OP Offline
R
My X login is Rosethorn... hayleyerza isn't included anywhere, I also used a junk email to sign up for x.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What I said still stands. The part of your address is the ident and it comes from either the e-mail you put into Alt-O > Connect or else what you put into User ID in Alt-O > Connect > IdentD. It does not come from anywhere else.

Invision Support
R
OP Offline
R
I do understand what you're saying, but hayleyerza was not inputted to *any* field, either in the client or my undernet registration, except for registering my copy of mIRC. I may never know why it's doing this, and that's fine, but even after going and retyping my handle into every field that's been mentioned, and saving my changes, it's still showing this. I guess my question now is, if I uninstall and reinstall, will that get rid of all my settings, letting me start fresh? Or will it retain some of them?

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
In addition, make sure you entered *something* in the email editbox of Options: Connect (e.g. anonymous@hidden.com). The ~ of "~hayleyerz@RoseThorn.users.undernet.org" indicates you did not.
Else, mIRC might use data retreived by localinfo lookup (check settings at "Connect: Local Info" and "Connect: Identd", especially check "use ID from eMail address"

B
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
B
In mIRC, type: /emailaddr bogus@whatever.yo then reconnect to undernet and look at your whois info again.

Replace bogus@whatever.yo with any fake email address you like.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Horstl
In addition, make sure you entered *something* in the email editbox of Options: Connect (e.g. anonymous@hidden.com). The ~ of "~hayleyerz@RoseThorn.users.undernet.org" indicates you did not.
Else, mIRC might use data retreived by localinfo lookup (check settings at "Connect: Local Info" and "Connect: Identd", especially check "use ID from eMail address"

The ~ doesn't indicate that the e-mail is blank. It means that the you didn't (or couldn't) respond to the identd request because of a blocked port 113.

Invision Support
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
You're right, I mixed things up...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The mIRC registration that you enter into mIRC consists of a registration name and number, there is no email address involved, so unless you typed in your email address into mIRC at some point, mIRC has no idea what it is.

Apart from that, your mIRC registration name and number is not related to any of the join/whois information that you see on an IRC server and is never, ever sent to an IRC server.

The join/whois information that you are seeing can, however, come from the following places:

1) Your IP/Named address assigned by your internet provider.
2) The Full Name or Email address that you have entered in the Options Connect dialog.
3) The UserID in the Options Identd dialog.
4) The information that you provided to the IRC network when you registered your nickname with them.

You can actually see what information mIRC is sending to the IRC server when you connect by using the /debug command. Before connecting to the IRC Server, type the following command in the status window and press the enter key:

/debug @debug

Now connect to the IRC server as usual. You will see all of the information that mIRC sends to the server in the @debug window. Please let us know how that works out for you and whether you find the source of your userid.

R
OP Offline
R
Thank you Khaled, I'll give that a try later on today and see if I can figure out what's happening.

Link Copied to Clipboard