mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Hi Roomies,

I have an unlisted and private room that discusses private client details and needs to be secure for members (Financiers) confidence and to ensure we don't get spy's watching in on us. (Financiers Room)

It's just in the set up phase and being tested for security and so on, ... but scripts & bots are very, very new to me. I'm just learning and not sure about what I'm doing. (Newbie)

I have used "Invite Only" & "Room Key" options and set the p/w. ... My Owner's and my own SuperOwner ID seem to by-pass the requirement to use the key & get straight in, ... no challenge or p/w prompt (I think).

However, ..when I use a dummy "Guest" to test the entry, ... it stopped the attempt, which is perfect. The error messag did say....

" .... IRC ERROR: 475. Room " It's Name " is protected with a password. You cannot join without the correct key. ..."

That's what I wanted to achieve, .... but how do I entre my key please?

Buzzen Help couldn't assist and sent me away.

Please point me in the right direction if you could.

Thanks, ..... RQ_Driftnet

Last edited by RQDriftnet; 01/05/08 04:54 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
From the help file /help /join
Quote:
Some channels may also have keys ie. a password, which you need to specify when using the /join command.

example: /join #irchelp trout

This will make you join the #irchelp channel using "trout" as the password.

R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
TY RusselB,

In my case, ... via the MSN Buzzen platform window, .... I get an error message:

" ... ERROR: Command "join" is not implemented in this client ... "

It appears MSN Buzzen haven't implemented the mIRC function & I may need to do so via the script tools with my SuolFly window (???).

Just having an educated guess at that, ..... and wouldn't know what to do to find & set that in any case, ... but would that be the sort of thing I may need to do here Russ?

Thanks, ... RQ_Driftnet

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
First off, while I'm not familiar with MSN Buzzen, please note that MSN Chat rooms do not follow IRC protocol, and, I've heard of cases where people haven't even been able to use mIRC to access the MSN chat rooms due to this lack on MSN's part.

The /join command is part of the IRC protocol, and, according to the error message you posted, it's not being recognized, and, therefore, probably is due to my earlier point.

If you're managing to chat on MSN with mIRC, then it's my opinion that you hit a fluke.

If you're not using mIRC, then you really should be asking these questions in a forum for the client that you are using.

R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
TY RusselB,

A lot of what you say is exactly what I too am learning from Buzzen HelpDesk. They too are working well on this with me & the MSN Guides have also redirected me back to SoulFly. It appears the main man over there (Travis) is speaking with them on this, so I am in direct contacted with the Script people & the client (MSN Buzzen). You're right on the money my friend.

As you can tell, ... I'm working hard to understand all this & doing the appropiate door knocking, asking the right questions, narrowing down the list of people to point me at the solutions.

SoulFly / mIRC & MSN Buzzen do, (appears to me), need to standardise the functionality. However, I'm in the middle of that & it might not be an immediate fix at that level yet.

I'm between the rock & the hard place.

My reason for coming here is I'm an account holder & the forum is easy to navigate, ... & you're here now. By the way, you've aleady helping me pull sensce into this.

Thanks again, .... Tavis over in SoulFly is the man I'm being tunneled towards & he is working with me as I type the reply to you.

I shall keep you in the loop if you wish so you've got a solution as well.

Good on you Russ, ...I appreciate your time here, even though its not the total solution, ... you've been most helpful.

Regards, ...RQ_Driftnet. (Quentin)

PS: ... I do use SoulFly 1.5/ mIRC platform & tools with MSN Buzzen chat rooms & enter them with easy, with the exception we currently troubleshoot & I'm sure the parties are moving to a resolution of it & this may be a catalyst that assist that.

PPS: ..Can't wait til I'm a Carpal Tunnel like you man. Hahahahaha!

Last edited by RQDriftnet; 01/05/08 04:59 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
mIRC is an IRC client that conforms to the IRC protocols located at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1459.txt?number=1459

Most internet chat clients and servers conform to these protocols. It is MSN that refuses to conform, which, in turn, is part of the problem you are having.

R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
TY

Link Copied to Clipboard