mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Yes we have the option to minimize mIRC to tray.

That means it is placed in the tray ONLY when minimized. The request is for the option to remove mIRC from the taskbar and place it in the tray ALWAYS, not only when it's minimized.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That isn't what the OP wants, however.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Yes, but that doesn't resolve the problem, as the OP wants mIRC open and available for him to read/type in.. when minimized he can't do that.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Nobody's mentioned a dual (or more!) monitor setup yet! It's only natural to cast away task bar clutter when you can in all actuality have mIRC visible at all times. Quite a few of my mIRC-using friends work it like this - and they also run mIRC 24/7.

It would be incredibly helpful to get this feature in.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I gotta agree with the OP here... It always gets on my nerves that MSN does *not* do this. mIRC is in the class of programs that should have this functionality as many people do use mIRC as a form of messenger program.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
mIRC has supported dual monitors for as long as I can recall. The option to permit it is located in mIRC Options - Display - Options.

There is a check box there to enable/disable Dual monitor support

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That wasn't the point, RusselB. He was making a point that having the OP's feature request would be even more useful for people using dual monitors.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
I agree with the OP's suggestion: mIRC could really use a way to get rid of the taskbar item. Like some of the other repliers, I leave my client on 24 hours a day, and while I usually don't mind the taskbar item, I will sometimes decide to have a more than a few different applications open simultaneously. With my already dwindling taskbar space, mIRC (combined with Pidgin, which also cannot be active and absent from the taskbar) starts accounting for a significant portion of the unnecessarily used space.

What's interesting is, I seem to vaguely recall already having this ability at some point in time. I'm not sure if I had used a third party program or what, but the only method of removing taskbar items I've found recently is TrayIt, which results in an extra (dummy) system tray icon. One could then remove the normal system tray icon, but of course, then the status indications of the icon is no longer available. This same issue occurs in Pidgin. Their excuse for not resolving it was that it's a "windows OS issue." Considering mIRC is built specifically for Windows, I hope this is not the case here. smile

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Here, you can use this dll, notaskbar.dll, in the meantime...

Drop it in $mircdir and add:

Code:
on *:APPACTIVE:.timer 1 0 dll notaskbar.dll DeleteTab

There is a side-effect since the window seems to get re-inserted into the taskbar *after* the APPACTIVE event (hence the timer), so you see some movement if you switch from mirc while its not minimized.

I threw it together in a couple of minutes using info about the ITaskbarList interface. The other method would just be using SetParent() to set mIRC's parent as a hidden window-- same effect but bulkier code.

You can use this dll to hide any window by HWND if you supply a number as a parameter, so:

dll notaskbar.dll DeleteTab $window(-2).hwnd

would have the same effect as without any parameter.

There's also an "AddTab" method which does the exact opposite, but same syntax.

The code for the dll is right here, for those interested-- specifically Khaled, who can throw this into mIRC sometime and hook it up with Tray stuff smile

Code:
#include <windows.h>
#include <shobjidl.h>

int __stdcall DeleteTab(HWND mWnd, HWND aWnd, char *data, char *parms, BOOL show, BOOL nopause)
{
	CoInitialize(NULL);
	ITaskbarList *pTaskbar = NULL;
	CoCreateInstance(CLSID_TaskbarList, NULL, CLSCTX_SERVER, IID_ITaskbarList, (LPVOID*)&pTaskbar);

if (pTaskbar) {
		pTaskbar->HrInit();
		pTaskbar->DeleteTab(*data ? (HWND)atoi(data) : mWnd);
	}
	CoUninitialize();

return 1;
}

int __stdcall AddTab(HWND mWnd, HWND aWnd, char *data, char *parms, BOOL show, BOOL nopause)
{
	CoInitialize(NULL);
	ITaskbarList *pTaskbar = NULL;
	CoCreateInstance(CLSID_TaskbarList, NULL, CLSCTX_SERVER, IID_ITaskbarList, (LPVOID*)&pTaskbar);

if (pTaskbar) {
		pTaskbar->HrInit();
		pTaskbar->AddTab(*data ? (HWND)atoi(data) : mWnd);
	}
	CoUninitialize();

return 1;
}

It's under a Please Steal Me (tm) license, especially since I "borrowed" the boiler plate code myself from this thread.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
ase Offline
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
A
I salute you argv0! I salute you! This is a most fantastic, a most fantastic contribution to the mIRC scene. The most important feature that mIRC never had!

Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard