Print Thread
A
Atmega Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
Hello,

I have been using mIRC for years and only had this problem on a new machine I purchased.

The machine is ran by a data center and uses Virtuozzo to run Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. Anyways, when installing any version of mIRC logged in as "Administrator" user it will install all files but the mirc.exe one.

If I manually upload mirc.exe from my local computer it works until a reset of the server then mirc.exe is suddenly deleted.

Wondering how it gets deleted and if there is a way to disable it?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It's most likely an over-zealous anti-virus program doing it. Check your AV software's logs or add mIRC as an exception.

A
Atmega Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
Default Windows Server 2003 install. No Anti-virus setup atm.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The key phrase here is

Quote:
it works until a reset of the server then mirc.exe is suddenly deleted.

Surely mIRC would not just delete itself. And the fact that it happens when you reset the server, ie. when mIRC is not running, would imply that mIRC cannot be the one doing the deleting.

My guess is your server is configured to restore filesystem state on reboot, and that might be related to installations as well

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
Atmega Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
So strange because any other file will stay on there easy after a reboot.

Also the install kinda fails after mirc.exe silently, no desktop icon is created.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Well remember that mIRC is not running during the reboot.. there is absolutely no way it can be responsible for deleting the file-- this should be your #1 hint. AntiVirus programs, however, *do* run on system launches to remove bad files... hint hint #2.

As far as the desktop thing, did you have mIRC create a desktop icon? Perhaps it isn't finishing the install sequence due to permission errors, though you say you ran as Admin.

I really can't think of any reasons why the installer would fail-- it's Nullsoft's installer which is used by many other programs, so it would be weird if mIRC was the only one affected.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree with argv0. AV software is the first place you should look. You may not think anything is installed, but perhaps you should double check (check your processes as well). If it's not an AV program, it is some other program you have installed that is trying to "protect" you. This is why you can't install it and why it gets removed.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard