mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Hello,

I've recently installed mIRC 6.1, for which I have bought a lifetime licence, on my Vista SP1 (x86)-run computer and found two annoying bugs.

1. Whatever the windows, it won't resize to full screen, there will be a border with empty space on the far right of the screen.

See here!

2. I can't seem to be able to scroll horizontally anymore in the bar into which I type my messages or other commands. When the size of the text I've typed exceeds the capacity of a single screen, the text won't scroll towards the right when I highlight it with my mouse and operate a movement on the right. It just gets stuck at the end of the bar, even though I'm far from the end of the sentence. If I do it manually, with the -> key, it works. When I've reached the end of the sentence, I CAN scroll back to the beginning WITH a movement of mouse towards the left. How is that that it only works for one direction?

Thanks

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I seem to recall this being reported and fixed quite some time ago. You should get the latest version (v6.31).

Quoted directly from the registration page...

"Your one time registration will work with current and future versions of mIRC."

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Any mIRC prior to 6.3 will have problems in Vista. Using the latest version, as mentioned, should solve your problems.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
OP Offline
S
Oh man... I made a typo! It’s mIRC 6.31 which I have installed, not 6.1!

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Did you experience these issues prior to installing SP1?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
S
OP Offline
S
I did!

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Any mIRC prior to 6.3 will have problems in Vista. Using the latest version, as mentioned, should solve your problems.

Not strictly true.
Every bug i read that involved vista and slightly older mIRC's i never experienced and a lot of my friends didn't either.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
IIRC this is a windows bug for MDI child windows using the aero interface. I reported this a while ago, but this was either solved by microsoft in a software update or perhaps Khaled made a workaround because it does not happen for me anymore. I do remember reinstalling vista between the time I last had the problem, though, so the bug could also be related to specific user settings.

The thing is, this should happen to all your MDI applications, not just mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
OP Offline
S
But it does only happen to mIRC, I’m afraid...

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
what other programs are you testing with?

please list the output from typing the following in mirc:

//echo -a $version $script(0) $nopath($script(1)) $dll(0) $md5($mircexe,2)

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
OP Offline
S
Gives me this:

6.31 1 script.ini 0 e72425de3cb77a4ddff9289f728017b4

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The first issue appears to be a Windows Vista bug. I reproduced it some months ago in both mIRC and other MDI applications. As far as I know there is no way for mIRC to resolve this issue itself.

The second issue I have been unable to reproduce so far. Are you using a single line editbox or a multi-line editbox? Does it happen only in certain windows, eg. channel windows, or in all mIRC windows?

S
OP Offline
S
So there’s no hope? I did try a clean uninstallation followed by a reinstallation but to no avail.

As to the second issue, yes, I’m using a single-line editbox and it’s the same thing in every single window I open. I tried using the multi-line editbox and it didn’t get any better.

Last edited by Space_Shadow; 09/04/08 08:36 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
There is little hope for issue #1 since it is indeed a Vista bug, not mIRC. However *I* no longer have the issue, so it might have been resolved in a windows update but I cannot confirm that. As I mentioned above, it might also be related to specific UI settings.. I forget what changed between now and the last time I reproduced it, but I haven't seen it since my reformat.

For issue #2 you'll have to show steps on reproducing it I think. If you can provide a consistent way to show the issue, it will help Khaled fix the bug.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have never experienced #1 in Vista, so it is probably some choice of settings in Vista that causes it.

I can confirm #2, however. If I have more text in the edit box than fits on the visible screen and I'm at the beginning of the line, I cannot highlight the text with the mouse and "scroll" to the end. It will only go to the end of the visible area. It does seem to scroll about 1/2 character to the right beyond what fits within the visible area, but that's all. This is on Vista Ultimate w/o SP1.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
G
gbz Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
G
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
I can confirm #2, however. If I have more text in the edit box than fits on the visible screen and I'm at the beginning of the line, I cannot highlight the text with the mouse and "scroll" to the end. It will only go to the end of the visible area.

I can confirm this too, on Win XP Pro SP2, with mIRC 6.35 as well as the prior versions. I took the freedom to borrow a sentence from the mIRC about page for reproduction steps.

- Use a single line editbox and paste the following into it:

Quote:
mIRC is a full featured Internet Relay Chat client for Windows that can be used to communicate, share, play or work with others on IRC networks around the world, either in multi-user group conferences or in one-to-one private discussions.

- Press the Home key to get to the start of the line

- Try to highlight the text with the mouse from left to right. As soon as the end of the visible area is reached, you can't highlight any further because the text doesn't scroll.

Highlighting right to left works, albeit not smoothly. The text "jumps" to the start of the line as soon as you reach the left end of the visible area.

Link Copied to Clipboard