Print Thread
#197012 27/03/08 05:47 AM
K
kahn Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
K
i install mIRC and then when i goto launch and run it, i get this message. "windows cannot access the specified device, path of file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". i've been using irc a long time, and installed it on ALOT of differnt pc's. i've never seen this message ever... can anyone tell me what it means and how i could fix the problem?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
the question is how are you launching it? The error you're seeing occurs when you execute a shortcut (from the start menu or otherwise) that points to a file that is not accessible.
If you're using the same old shortcut you always have, it might be out of date, because its not pointing to the right file. In other words, make sure that what you're executing is indeed pointing to mIRC.

If you installed to the default location, go to:

C:\Program Files\mIRC

and run the file "mirc.exe" .. this should work. You can make a shortcut for that file anywhere you want.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
K
kahn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
well see thats the problem... irc has never been installed on this pc befor so the shortcut should be going to c:/program files/mirc but for some reason the path isn't right or something. i downloaded the newest version from the site and installed it properly... so i have no idea why they shortcut would be messed up like it is. i've also tried going straight to the actuall .exe file in program files/mirc and that gives me the same error. i'm kinda stumped!

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
What OS is this on? Does your user have administrator rights?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
K
kahn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
its XP. and i'm logged on as administrator. could it be a setting that was default upon installing xp? cause just yesterday i reformatted the hard drive and re-installed XP cause the pc had a bad ass virus... ?

K
kahn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Windows XP. and yes, i'm logged on to the pc as administrator

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
How did you reinstall mIRC?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
ineed help with these computer terms all i need to is mod my xbox i am a caribbean user of this site anyone who is generous enough to help me it would be greatly appreciated.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
you are in a very wrong place for that. this is a forum for help with an IRC client on windows. Nothing to do with XBox, nothing to do with modding. You'll need to look for the right place on google, perhaps.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
K
kahn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
i'm still getting this same error after installing mirc, then trying to run it.

"windows cannot access the specified device, path of file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

does anyone knows why this is happening? it seems as if when i'm installing mirc, it doesn't get all the files needed for it. but the file i got to install it is the newest version i got from this site. i dunno whats going on.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
How are you "running" it? I'd say you have some deep rooted problem in windows-- seeing as you've never actually run mIRC on the machine yet, it's not really an mIRC issue. mIRC needs only the "mirc.exe" to run, no other components.

The fact that you recently reformatted/reinstalled windows due to a "bad ass" virus leads me to think you didn't quite solve your "virus" problem, because this is some wonky behaviour that should never occur on a supposedly clean install.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
Hi, I got exatly same problem as Kahn. And I use to have mIRC on this machine but now it doesnt work. Saying, you have no right, try logg in as admin. But Im admin on this machine. smirk I have tried remove mirc with windows uninstall, mircs own uninstall, and manually deleted all files. Then reinstalled but same problem..

I have checked that my virusprogram and firewall dont stop mirc. Tried to install it to different folder. I really dont know what to try anymore. Anyone solved this thing?

I got Win XP. Any ideas = thx!

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
What is the last thing you changed on your computer before this problem started?

What was the last program you ran before the problem started?

Did an anti-virus scan run just before the problem started?

If mIRC was working before then the solution is likely to revert whatever changed back to its original state.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC

Link Copied to Clipboard