#196466 17/03/08 03:45 AM
T
TetSio Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
Hi,
We have an IRC server. Can we modify the mIRC redistributable package in the following way: edit the ini-files to set our server by default, set official channels for auto-join, and share on our Web-site?
Best regards,
TetSio

TetSio #196474 17/03/08 11:50 AM
N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
Originally Posted By: TetSio
Hi,
We have an IRC server. Can we modify the mIRC redistributable package in the following way: edit the ini-files to set our server by default, set official channels for auto-join, and share on our Web-site?
Best regards,
TetSio

Hello,
I think its not allowed. Reading khaled Faqs, it clearly said that your modifications/scripting should be provided seperately from mIRC(Original One). And the user should be told to download mIRC from the official website (here) if he/she dont possess one.

Hope to have help you wink
~NaBz

"It's choice not chance that determines your destiny"
TetSio #196476 17/03/08 12:20 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Link them to the original download, then make a script to change the mIRC.ini file's settings. They can download and run the script and then you're fine. I'm not really sure if putting an edited mIRC.ini file online would be acceptable, but the script would be easy and allowed.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #196529 18/03/08 04:18 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Whats wrong with an edited mirc.ini?

It's just a file filled with settings.

mIRC doesn't even distribute with an mirc.ini per se-- the data is generated on the fly at first-run (if it doesn't exist), so a custom one doesnt step on any toes at all. IMO it would be equivalent to a script.. The only thing you can't do is repackage the exe, perhaps that means the helpfile, though I doubt there would be objections to that one

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #196534 18/03/08 09:00 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
the point is you aren't allowed to redistribute mIRC in any way, also not with a modified ini file. you are allowed to supply the mirc.ini seperately though.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
argv0 #196536 18/03/08 12:05 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As I said, I wasn't sure one way or the other regarding the ini.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Doqnach #196539 18/03/08 02:01 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: Dognach

...also not with a modified ini file.

I don't know where you got that from.

Originally Posted By: mIRC License Agreement

mIRC may only be distributed as part of the original mIRC install file as distributed by mIRC Co. Ltd. mIRC and the mIRC install file may not be distributed as a part of any package and may not be modified, decompiled, disassembled, or reverse engineered.

RoCk #196654 21/03/08 07:49 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
that bit clearly states you can't redistribute it as a package, that would include packaging it with a different ini file. so if you redistribute the installer and along with that the ini file seperately then all is fine. as soon as you package them together or you package the executable (not the installer) with the ini file, you are going against the agreement.

that is what the part says you just quoted yourself

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Doqnach #196656 21/03/08 07:57 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I never said anyone should modify the installer or repackage mIRC

I'm simply clarifying Riamus' point that distributing the mirc.ini should be allowed and should suffice in this case.

Why have people download 1 megabyte when they only need 1 kilobyte of the data inside the package? The rest of it they either already have or can get from mirc.com. Just package the mirc.ini or some other file as a script the user can execute. I'd be in favour of the latter, seeing as I wouldn't want to have mIRC configuration forced down my throat-- at least with a script file you can pick and choose before running it.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard