mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
E
I've updated both my mIRC (v6.31) and antivirus (Macafee v8.5.1i)) software. Now, my mIRC won't connect. I've looked at all the options and settings I can find, including firewall and AV settings? But dang it, I still can't connect!

This is the message I receive in mIRC: "Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)"

Everything has always worked well before! I have read the 'help' and other resources, but perhaps there's something I can't obviously find. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Elle

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
sounds like youre just connecting to the wrong port or server.. maybe your firewall settings were turned on

type

/firewall off
/server irc.freenode.net 6667

if that doesnt work, something is wrong

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks so much for your reply. I tried the command "/firewall off" while in mIRC (v6.31) and it said the firewall was already off. I do not wish to connect to the "irc.freenode.net" server. I already know the specifics required for the IRC servers I want to access.

I should've also included this text in my initial post from the AV (antivirus) log: "Blocked by port blocking rule | C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe | Anti-virus Standard Protection: Prevent IRC communication (snipped IP address)".

I've looked at all the AV and Windows firewall settings, and danged if I can find anything to 'except/accept' or 'allow' with regards to ports! WinXPPro is the OS. Perhaps I may have to revert to mIRC v6.21, which worked with no problems beforehand?

Thanks again.

Elle

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'm aware you don't want to connect to freenode, but the point of the exercise was to rule out your specific server as the culprit, so without actually testing a connection to a known working server you can't really say this is mIRC's fault.

If the antivirus blocking ports is what's causing the problem, reverting to 6.21 will likely *not* solve it. Disable both your AV and windows firewall completely (again, to *test*) and try to connect. If the connection succeeds then you know what to fix. Sorry, we can't help you configure your AV, you'll have to look what one up from whatever vendor makes the software. As far as your windows firewall goes, there should be an allow for 6667

Finally, like i mentioned above, you must verify that the port you're connecting to is indeed allowed by your AV/firewall.

The best way to do this is to type /server irc.freenode.net 6667 and test if it works.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
E
OP Offline
E
I appreciate your help. At your suggestion, I disabled the AV software (specifically the "Access Protection" section), and I was able to connect my usual IRC servers and channels using mIRC without any problems. Now, I have to figure out how to configure the upgraded AV settings. At least I know it's the culprit. Thanks again for your assistance.

Elle

E
OP Offline
E
Problem resolved. It was definitely a setting in the AV software. I found the 'right place' for some particular settings, but I just didn't go far enough and edit to actually deselect IRC. Now I know. Thanks again for helping.

Elle

Link Copied to Clipboard