mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Hi,

There's someone who is disruptive in the channel. I entered their nic under "ignore user" but it makes no difference, I still see their nic and...their posts.

I thought by entering their nic under the commands option to "ignore user" and saving that, it would eliminate them from my view.

Apparently this is not an enabled feature or I am doing it wrong.

Looks simple enough to understand what to do but I'll be grateful for suggestions.

Thanks

RC

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Try first clearing the ignore list by typing /ignore -rw and then try adding them again. It will not remove them from the nick list, you will still see them on the channel, but you shouldn't see their messages.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I'm not sure how you did it, but I just tested ignoring a nick by right clicking on the nick in the nicklist, then selecting Control - Ignore

I also tested the command line of /ignore <nick> and both of them worked properly.

R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
HI RoCk & RusselB,

Thanks for the input. How I tried ignoring them was clicking on the commands button and then selecting the ignore user" button which opened a window. In that window I typed the offending nic. A statement saying it was added to the ignore list showed up in the comments section in green letters. But nothing was changed, his posts kept on coming.

Tried looking in the help functions how differently to do it but didn't see the idea of right clicking in the nic list so I'll try that tomorrow when the guy starts taking over. Out of 100 people reading, he posts every 2nd post and he's just trying to get us mad & frustrated.

Thanks for the suggestions!

RC

Last edited by Rodeo_Clown; 27/02/08 04:18 AM.
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Button.. mIRC has no 'button' that is for ignore.

Do you perhaps mean you right-click on the nick, it pops up a menu, you select 'Control' then 'ignore'? If so, you should see a line similar to '* Added *!*i73auth@75-161-97-137.albq.qwest.net to ignore list'. If you do, you need to copy/paste that line into this thread.

You should also do a '/whois <nickyouwanttoignore>', and paste the results of that too.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's possible he means the address book button...?

Anyhow, just type this in your editbox if the guy never changes his nick:

/ignore nick

Replace nick with his nick. You'll get a line saying it was added as nick!*@* and then you shouldn't have any problems.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
It should be noted that client-side ignore is not as good as server-side ignore.

Which means when a person on your mIRC ignore floods you, that actually slows your system down (since mIRC still receives it) (especially if they flood you using ctrl codes, I think).

Whereas network-side ignore, you don't have that minor problem.

-Neal.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That's really a minor issue as a person can only flood you so much without the server kicking them off, so the slow down wouldn't even be noticeable.

Invision Support
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
That's really a minor issue as a person can only flood you so much without the server kicking them off, so the slow down wouldn't even be noticeable.

Absolutely, however, from reading Myndzi's tutorial (Dalnet #scripting op) there is an issue with 'screen lag' when the user floods with excessive ctrl codes.

Straight from the tutorial, take a look at.

//var %t = $ticks + 4000 | while (%t > $ticks) { echo -a $str($+($chr(2),$chr(35)),400) | dec %i }

And you'll see what I mean.

Meh.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, and that's echoing a LOT faster than a server will let someone send you data before getting kicked off. You can't send significant amounts of lines/text to make it noticeable.

Invision Support
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
While we're on the topic that any 1 individual is trying to flood you off, the worst is when you have multiple nicks flooding you off.

And that's when the tutorial I read says it's better to use the network-side ignore than the client-side ignore.

Sure enough, you're absolutely right about having to worry about any 1 person flooding you off.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Not all networks support network-side ignores. EFNet in particular does not.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
True, though that's usually rare and if it happens, talking to IRCOPs can sometimes solve the issue by g-lining them. Also, as Bekar mentioned, not all networks have server-side ignores.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be used. Just that they aren't really needed most of the time. Using them doesn't hurt, of course.

Invision Support
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
The issue of screen lag with control codes only applies if the control codes are being displayed. When you ignore someone, locally or otherwise, you're obviously not going to see anything and so it doesn't matter what they send - they will always flood off the server long before they have any effect on the recipient who has them ignored.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

It's the display of the control code flood that lags the client, not the incoming traffic. Unless they're on dialup, one flooder can't do much. But this is just another case of a thread being lead off-topic. The OP needs a way to ignore ONE idiot on a channel, not a botnet.

R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Button... probably there's a more better term to use so by steps I mean; put the mouse on the "commands" "button" on the top row of options.

Left click on the "button"

4th option "button" from the bottom says "Ignore User"

left click on the "Ignore User" "button" and a small window opens saying "Input Request".

I entered the Nic to ignore in the 'data window' and clicked "OK"

I got a confirmation on the main screen saying that this nic would be ignored.

Thing is it effected no change.

The thing with this user is he's trying to irritate a lot of people by swearing and describing sex acts in really graphic detail and having a running conversation with himself.

Thing is, this group has a lot of international users and it's a real time information forum so all this distraction is a royal PITA and most of us are geezers who have heard & seen it all long ago & don't want to be bothered with this kind of intentional spamming from someone looking for attention.

Since it's an unmoderated group, the best I can do is to ignore his comments as best I can & if ignoring user works & stops me from seeing his drivel then I'm good with that.

He hasn't been on the last few times I have been there but I will try the right click & select "ignore "in the nic & see if that makes a difference.

I do appreciate the help!

Last edited by Rodeo_Clown; 29/02/08 12:35 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you type what I said in my first reply, you shouldn't have any problems.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard