#190842 27/11/07 06:02 PM
X
Xanland Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
X
Hello All,

A long time I ask myself if it is possible to make an translated mIRC. Because it could be very handy.

Greet, Xanland.

Xanland #190941 29/11/07 01:02 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Do you mean translating, as in from English to French, so that someone posts a message in English from Canada, then someone in France would see it in French? (and vice-versa, of course).
Technically the answer is Yes, it's possible, and, I believe, it's at least partially already possible, with the implementation of UTF codes.

If you mean something else, then please clarify.

RusselB #190942 29/11/07 01:14 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I believe he means translating the application itself.

RoCk #190948 29/11/07 06:13 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If so, then that wouldn't be a feature, but a complete re-write, and, I believe, this has been answered time and again with something like "mIRC is for Windows. There are no plans to develop it for other operating systems."

I'd like to quote and reference the exact location where I saw that, but my system is lagging really bad right now.

RusselB #190950 29/11/07 08:53 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
By translating he means internationalizing the dialogs and other such language dependent user interfaces in mirc. Not an OS rewrite, or translation of IRC text, or anything else.

But yes, this has been requested before and it surely involves a lot of work. The link above describes many of the difficulties in such a process.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
RusselB #190952 29/11/07 12:49 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Yeah I meant translating the UI. Sorry.

RoCk #195135 18/02/08 08:13 AM
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
Quote:
By translating he means internationalizing the dialogs and other such language dependent user interfaces in mirc. Not an OS rewrite, or translation of IRC text, or anything else.

Great idea. I can translate mIRC to russian :P
Is there any news about this feature?

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')
Lusht #200336 03/06/08 01:15 PM
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
Looks like no multilanguage support for most popular IRC-client. Nice.

Lusht #200443 05/06/08 07:48 PM
K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
It's pretty simple task to translate mIRC into another language. Most reasonable programmers that did internationalize their software started by moving all visible words out of the program code and placed it on it's own memory block whith a pointer from the code itself. Further more, they moved it to it's own file where each meny item if text is visible took one line starting with a reference number, and how wide the text is allowed to be, to be visible. This way each user could make their own text items for any language they like by editing this text file. After awhile ppl would post translations in their own language, and Khaled could use it to implement it all, into a version in the future. The "hard" part is to do the necessary makeover so that all text items are allowed to be at different width, which is the case for most language.

Myself I would rather want a re-write of the script language. It has become so ugly one must love to terrorize oneself to do more than hundred lines of code. I suggest Khaled made the script language like C++ or Java. Not a complete rip off but enouh to be useful. As I know I won't get this in Khaled's life, I would be happy if he added _real_ pointers and depointers, ex:
*%var1 = &var2 (put the address of %var2 into %var1)
It's not that you can't do this today, but the code get's ugly the more dimentons you add. If support for tables were added, ex:
%tab[%p1,%f2] = *%var (put what %var points to into table tab at post %p1 and field %f2) mIRC would really be useful. It's not that this cannot be done today, but, the code get's ugly really fast. And what about the math part, where is e, and where is i? Where is hyp, and where are complex numbers? And for the chatters, where is cam and mic and pic? Where is crypt? And for the socket guys, where is DCC with nat penetration, or at least upnp? Most ppl are behind nat today, and only few knows how to forward ports. And upnp is rarely default on a router and you never get the other guy to use ours to figure out his router. It would be useful if Khaled found time to add a NAT penetrator. It's pretty simple stuff too. I guess I want too much, and ironocally enough, I think there has never been less real developement of mIRC since it started to cost money. Well, that's me. Maybe I'm totally wrong. I will never pay anyways, so why should I care? I could accept adds inside mIRC though. That could be done too. A add system that motivated ppl to actually look at them, and not seek for where to put a jmp.

Krumelure #200554 07/06/08 04:49 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Wow, Where does one start?
True, internationalisation could be achieved by having "string tables". I don't know how Khaled achieves it at the moment. There are techniques where you can have some freedom in the length of strings, as long as the row in the table is the same. But this freedom would come at a cost of either resources or security (read up about XSS if you are not sure what I mean).

It is really the other points that I wanted to add 5 cents about. You don't ask for much!
[*] The script language is not "ugly", considering its evolution.
[*] The script language is just that .. a scripting language, not a full blown programming language.
[*] "Real" pointers? Why? It is a scripting language, not a full blown programming language. IF "real" pointers are needed to fulfil a task - and the scripter is knowledgeable enough to use real pointers safely - then I would suggest a dll or like "add-on" in a "real" programming language.
[*] Tables have been discussed previously - but i am too lazy to search for it now.
[*] Maths - see my point about it being a scripting language. For IRC. There are other programs that can do what you want efficiently (like Excel). And if you want to in corporate the results in your chat, you can always program the connection (dll, sendkeys, com) in mIRC.
[*] Cam and PIC - do your own search and see the extended discussion on these matters. IRC, not MSN,not VOIP.
[*] Firewall and router "penetration" is the responsibility of the applications that look after security. not mIRC. But, if you had an idea how this could be achieved without breaking security models, then please expand on what you mean.

but then, you "will never pays anyways", so why should I care if you want a "super program" for nix?

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
Krumelure #200567 07/06/08 02:37 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
I will never pay anyways
Personally, and I have no idea if Khaled feels this way or not, but if I was writing a program and got suggestions, I'd be taking the suggestions of the people that have paid for the program before those of the people that have not (and by the quote, will not).

Krumelure #200570 07/06/08 03:31 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Krumelure: Please don't hijack threads, it's disrespectful to the OP and everyone involved. If you want to voice your opinion on something, start a new topic. This discussion is about language internationalization, not the scripting language. On a sidenote however, you should realize that mIRC has had DLL/COM support for a long time-- so you have access to C/C++ and pointers if you want to use it. There are also many libraries like Python4mIRC, Ruby4mIRC and Tcl4mIRC which let you use any language you want from within mIRC. Please don't reply to this post here.

Now, back to our regular program.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #201065 18/06/08 04:55 AM
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
Quote:
Now, back to our regular program.

and SILENCE has arrived...

Link Copied to Clipboard