mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
i'm with Mpdreamz here (how could you not be? he's absolutely gorgeous). the only extra feature this suggestion would provide is the potential to call aliases accidentally ie. you add an alias to the end of your remote file forgetting you already have a wildcarded one that supercedes it. /timername could just as well have been /timer name, in fact i don't see why it wasn't shocked

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde
X
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
X
Quote:
Not sure what $- is meant to do in your short comment on it...?

Well, like $nick $+ $chan would return XTZGZoReX#somechan, you could have $- seperate stuff instead of putting it together, ie:

echo $-(sometext,5) could return "somet ext".

I agree with you about the concept of using other peoples' scripts. We can't just ignore people, true enough.

Anyway, to get back to the compatibility thing (which I think we forgot):

As jaytea just said, even /timer could cause confusion. Say, someone makes an alias called /timername (for whatever crazy reason) and calls it, and doesn't understand what's going on when a timer starts popping up. There, we already have the problem. Of course, making the problem worse isn't good.

However, I came to think of something. Special aliases like these could be called in a special way. That being, _aliasname, -aliasname ... or something like that. Then, if you wanted to silence it; _.aliasname. Then, if the alias is called with just /aliasname or .aliasname, it would parse the normal alias, not the wildcard one.

In that sense, it could be possible without causing great troubles.

GamerzWoW
The Official GamerzPlanet WoW Server
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Quote:
echo $-(sometext,5) could return "somet ext".

Thats better than the original idea, but would be better as a token alias.

$-(sometext,32,2,5) returns s ome text

I think it would be better to replace on the 5th charachter, not after it as your post suggests.

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
oh, back to topic, cant $-.... and $_... allready be used in aliases? im sure ive seen it before.

The way I think this COULD be possible is by using another charachter other than $ as a prefix.

But still, There is no real need for this.

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
X
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
X
I haven't really seen those being used anywhere. Not even in NNS.

And yes, indeed it should be tokenized, that would provide better compatibility. Though, you would still need something like $command or something to take some text from the command and use it,

on *:text:sometext:#: {
newechoTest Hello World
}

alias newecho {
echo -at $replace($-($command,32,$len($command)-),$command,$null)
}

Something like that, no?

GamerzWoW
The Official GamerzPlanet WoW Server
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard