mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
Gremel Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
G
A channel I am a member of is having problems banning a user atm. They use a bot from a service, http://www.botservice.net/ But I am thinking this service is broken, as the bot will ban a user. We set the time for 2 weeks using it's code, but after an hour, the bot unbans the user.

So I decided that I will ban the user through the server itself. My question is, what would eb the code for this?

This is what it reveals when viewing the bots internal ban list:

-Tasha- (1) Mask: *!*@*.Dial1.Atlanta1.b1da02e4.net.hmsk (banned by: Kalina_)
-Tasha- 1 Reason: (2 weeks) Tasha's Rule #1
-Tasha- 1 Created: Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:07:57 AM GMT Banned until: Sun 24 Feb 2008 12:07:57 AM GMT

So what would I type in mIRC to have the server ban the same user for 2 weeks?

/ban ?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Most bots remove bans from the channel banlist to keep it from becoming full because most networks have a fairly low banlist limt. There is a ban tutorial on the website you referred to, if you read the sticky ban section it says...

Sticky Bans

On its default setting, the bot will remove bans from the channel's banlist a few hours after they were last set (don't worry, it will still keep them in memory). This is to avoid the channel banlist becoming full, which would prevent any more bans from being set. Naturally there are occassions when you don't want the ban to be stored in memory, and would prefer it to be active on channel all the time. This is particularly effective against spambots

Sticky bans are set the same as regular bans, with the addition of one character to the ban reason, which must start with the asterix character "*". This means, of course, that a ban reason must be specified. As a general rule of thumb, you should avoid setting too many sticky bans on the bot, as this decreases the efficiency of the channel's banlist.

So if you want the ban to remain in the channel banlist at all times (sticky), then you would have to do this...

/msg <botnick> ban <#channel> <nick> <bantime> * Go away!

G
Gremel Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
G
Ah, okay. Thanks. I wasn't the person who asked for the bot to be put on the channel, thus wasn't informed of this ruling on the bots side. but I understand it fully now.

What I may ask now though is, if banning a user works by bannign his host, is it possible to ban the username itself? As it seems the particular user has been able to change his host once since banning, be it he was using a netcafe or what I am unsure of. So I was thinking of banning him by some of his common nicks.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

You could do that by using the last mask on the bottom of that tutorial page as an example.

Last edited by RoCk; 10/02/08 04:44 AM.
G
Gremel Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
G
Thanks

so if the person is named Joe, then the code would be

/msg botnick ban #channel *!*Joe@*.* 2w * Reason

Last edited by Gremel; 10/02/08 04:49 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

You're welcome.

G
Gremel Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
G
Just in case you posted before I edited, I thought I would mention that I edited my post above.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Yes that looks good.

H
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
H
Hello, I am trying to get in touch with anyone or get into a chat room, newbe to the extreem and having difficulties, any suggestions? thanks, Herb

G
Gremel Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
G
Well, first suggestion would be to post a new thread with a title that would hint at your problem. This thread is about banning people....maybe not a good place to start lol

H
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
H
thanks, will give that a try, this is more difficult than I thought. Herb

Link Copied to Clipboard