mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It's really hard to help you based on that one simple post - it's easier to help if you let everyone know the following information:

- What version of Windows you're using (95/98/ME/XP etc.)
- What connection you have (Dial up, broadband, etc.)
- What version of mIRC you're using.
- What the exact errror message you're receiving is.
- What network/port you're using to connect.
- If you have any problems with any other functions (accessing web pages, logging on to MSN Messenger and the like)
- Any firewalls/routers that you have running

If you have a firewall and a router, it's a good idea to disable the firewall, then try to connect - if you can, you know that the firewall is the issue. If you still can't connect, turn the firewall back on and disable the router and try to connect again. If you can, you know that's the problem! Basically, it's a matter of going through each of the likely problems and using your powers of deduction to work out what it is.

Once you know what it is, it's easy to work on it and try and pinpoint the exact issue and indeed fix it - whether we can do that for you though is another matter, as it's not always down to mIRC itself.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Q
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Q
I cnt connect while firewall enable in WINXP.

Is there any solution? Coz the're alot of WORMS lurking around out there.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I've enabled the XP Firewall several times (I still do use it) and it's never prevented actually connecting to a server. Disable the firewall and then try and connect (if you're a dialup user make sure you reconnect first) - if you can't connect then it's not the XP firewall causing the issues.

What error message are you receiving when you try to connect? You can probably get information on whatever it is in this post.

If you read all that information, and you find that it definitely, 100% certainly IS the XP firewall, then feel free to post again and seek help on Microsoft's Support site.

G'luck smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#19434 24/05/04 04:37 PM
T
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
T
the same thing for me. i can connect but i can't download any files. i hve tried to change my setting and stuff but to avail. some one on irc told me to try changi the ip confugerations in the lan settings saying the firewall might be a problem. how then can i go over the problem i can't download any files. well i am behind a firewall at school and i can't get to the server to set the router or anything

enjoy everybit of the net.
#19435 24/05/04 04:46 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
"well i am behind a firewall at school and i can't get to the server to set the router or anything"

It is highly likely access is restricted. You will have to speak to the head of the IT Dept. if there is one, or some other teacher in order to get it sorted. If they are not prepared to help you then that is their perogative and we cannot help you evade their policies.

You need to open at least two ports in the range, preferably in the range of 1024-5000 although not mandatory. You need to set the opened ports in ALT+O > Connect > Options > [Advanced...] (mIRC 6.14).

G'luck!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#19436 29/05/04 12:55 AM
L
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
L
Please help as I am new and dont know what to do.
What do I do if there's this message coming up:
/dccserver +sc on 59
I did that but all it shows is:
* DCC Server is on (59,Send,Chat)
I dont know what to do next. An I on the right track? What should I do next to connect to whoever?
Thanks

#19437 29/05/04 04:21 PM
P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
What you did with that command was to enable dcc server to listen on port 59 for sends and chats. To read about dcc server, in any mIRC window type /help dcc and scroll down to that part. The other info on that help page should answer your questions (and do please read the part referred to there about accepting files on IRC) and you can also read more info by typing /help sending and receiving files . The mIRC DCC Server listens for direct connections to your IP address from other mIRC clients. You got the msg to do that from whoever you were requesting the file from because they want to use dccserver on port 59.

Since you are new, i feel i should warn you. Accepting files from ppl you dont know and trust completely is not a good idea. Many files are infected or are illegal to share, and some networks and providers frown on mass filesharing. Obviously i dont know specifically what files you are trying to get or from whom, but for everyone's sake please exercise caution. Be aware that on this forum we dont help with mass filesharing questions.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#19438 30/05/04 03:30 AM
L
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
L
Thanks for helping out. It's like mud to me at tis time. I'll be careful choosing files to download. Thanks again!

#19439 05/06/04 08:01 PM
I
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
I
I can't seem to connect with my present internet service. Is there some way to get around that?

#19440 06/06/04 03:32 AM
P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
Its pretty hard to answer your question without some details. First, do you mean that your provider blocks IRC access? Many schools and businesses do that, and we wont help you evade their policies if thats what you mean.

Otherwise: have you tried the suggestions in this thread? (like trying different servers/networks/etc) What exactly happens when you try to connect?

#19441 06/06/04 07:22 AM
Q
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Q
Windows 2000
Cable
mIRC v6.12
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
Every network:6667-7000
No other problems with Internet

I've had this error before, on and off, normally I can connect again after a few hours, but this time its been 3 days, and I'm getting a little worried. I can 'see' the server (pinged it, worked fine..), but when I try connecting through mIRC, jIRC, conference room, vIRC, kIRC, sIRC...(I've tried ALOT, on two different os's) it gives me that blasted error, which is supposedly the easiest to solve.. (I made sure to read everything I could find before posting)

One of my friends said that my Ip was probably blocked from the entire IRC community, 'hammering IP', I think he termed it, but he said it was only temporarily (which explains the 2-3 hour intteruptions before, but this doesn't seem temporary right now!)

Quia

#19442 08/06/04 01:18 AM
Q
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Q
I can't seem to edit my post.. oh well.

I talked to one of my friends who uses the same ISP as me, and she can connect just fine..

#19443 08/06/04 09:04 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Do you have a firewall/router? Do you connect through a proxy?

Connection Refused is the server actively refusing your connection, and as you've tried with several different IRC clients I doubt it's an mIRC program. As you're fairly sure it's not your ISP I guess there's something wrong in your computer somewhere along the line! You might try upgrading to the latest version of mIRC (6.15).

Just an FYI, you only have 2 hours to edit your post from when you first posted it smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#19444 09/06/04 03:37 AM
Q
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Q
I do connect through a firewall, but I've used the same one for over 3 years, and never had this problem before. I tried upgrading, still no luck.

However.. one of my friends (I have lots of geeky friends! its awsome) set up a CGI:IRC client causes me to use his ISP and IP instead of my own, and it works fine..

It it would seem to me,
1. Its not the software, since i've updated MIRC, and tried several others.
2. Its not my ISP, because someone I know with the same ISP can connect fine
3. Its not my computer, since I can connect through an alternate program that routes me through someone elses IP, while still using my computer

The only other thing I can think of that would block me is IRC itself, blocking my individual IP out.

Quia

#19445 18/06/04 10:47 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
* Connecting to irc.chatster.org (6667)
-
Local host: famous101 (67.202.89.170)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)

All my friends can get on but I cant seem to get in frown

Do the monkey!
#19446 18/06/04 10:56 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Not much use in cross-posting Scriptor, your thread has been answered here.

I know it can be annoying when you can't connect, I've been here several times, but posting twice over the forum isn't going to get you helped any better or faster. The same people that will see your other thread will see this post, and have the same answers! Cross posting can also irritate others and get a hostile response.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#19447 18/06/04 11:13 PM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Sorry , I am desperate, anyays I did what you said but it didnt work smirk all the servers get the same answer

Do the monkey!
#19448 01/07/04 04:39 AM
N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
1. 6.15

2. XP Pro

3. no firewall

4. Linksys BEFSR81 router

the gist of the problem is that i am unable to connect to any servers. the message i get is "unable to connect to server (connection refused)"

I have read all the help files and searched for the problem and been unable to find anything that pertains specifically to my problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

#19449 02/07/04 03:57 AM
P
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
- just to clarify, have you tried servers on more than one network?
-have you tried using a server's ip instead of domain name?
-can you connect if you disable your router?

#19450 03/07/04 12:00 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
are you having trouble with any other internet based programs such as email or popular instant messengers such as MSN or AIM? if those work. then ur problem is most likely the server your trying to connect to using mirc. try some random servers on some larger networks such as DALnet or Undernet

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
Page 3 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard