#193065 14/01/08 07:04 PM
N
nushi Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
N
Hi

What is the max number of people that can join a chatroom?
Also, can it be private/password protected?
Does the original moderator whop creates a room need to be present for the chat to go on?
I searched for these answers but could not find them.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
1) I'm not sure but if the -l mode isnt used, it's illimited
2) yes, see /help /mode, +p +s +k
3) no

smile

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Hard Questions :P, well I channel's with over 1000 people in them and if you cant ge more than that your doing pretty well smile and yea no moderator has to be in the room but its a good idea to employ some mod's for your room is if it's quite big because a umodded room isn't a good idea :|

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Originally Posted By: nushi
Hi

What is the max number of people that can join a chatroom?

Some IRCds, like Unreal, support a join-throttling limit. It goes like number:number, where you tell how many can join per second.

The reason I say that is because you asked for the max that can "join" a channel despite those "being" in the channel. And the default to that is also N/A.

And then, there is no default limit. Setting +l <Number> sets the limit.

The question really remains how much the servers can handle it.

Quote:
Also, can it be private

A "real life" definition of private is different.

I understand 2 meanings of private channels on IRC.

-Where the channel cannot be found in a /whois unless you are in it.
-Where the channel cannot be found in a /list.

If the above 2 definitions are what you are looking for, then yes and yes. Logically, both +s and +p do both. So they are exactly the same. And then, you can't set both. And a problem remains, you can't set only 1 of the 2. Both modes do both. Would certainly be interesting if either +s or +p did 1 of the above and the other did the other. But I guess doing that will cause confusion on which mode for which option, +s, or +p (secret, or private).

Quote:
/password protected?

If we set +s for both, then we don't need +p to do exactly the same. +p could stand for password. But since it was made to be exactly, like +s, we can't make +p stand for password. So a +k for key was made.

/mode #<Channel> +k <password>
Then /join #<Channel> <password>

Which is called the channel key.

Quote:
Does the original moderator whop creates a room need to be present for the chat to go on?

Call it founder. No, but if he wanted to shut down the channel before he left the channel or quit, he could do it in an IRCd with services. Will be hard on a place like Efnet though - he will need something in the channel 24/7 to keep the rest out until he comes back.

-Neal.

Quote:
I searched for these answers but could not find them.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'll just add...

1) No limit unless the network has a limit specified. I don't know if any networks do.

2) Either set a password (key) or set the channel to invite only. To do so, you can just double click on the channel and it will open the Channel Central and you can set these. You can also do it using /mode. (/help /mode as was mentioned)

3) If the network has services, the founder will always remain the founder and have control of the channel even if he/she leaves unless the founder doesn't reconnect within a period of time... usually something like 30 days. If the network does not have services, then you will need to have someone in the channel who is an OP 24/7 who can always op you when you join. You don't need just one person to always be there, of course... you can have multiple OPs so that at least one will always be there. In the end, the channel (chat room) will always be there as long as someone is in it no matter what. It's really just a matter of whether or not you want to have control over it again after you leave and rejoin. If you don't care, then you can leave anytime you want without a problem and others can keep talking.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
1) Varies from IRCd to IRCd I believe.
2) Yes, using modes p (private), s (secret), and k <key> (key).
3) No.

Link Copied to Clipboard