mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
I have had this come up now and then,
where a channel owner and/or an op are not registered.
Some of these folks will even teach people how to continue using the program on a trial basis, for years on end.

I think it would be really great if someone would require
that channel owners and their ops be registered and licensed users.

I paid for my license, because I realized just how much work went,
into this, and that is continues to be upgraded.

It is really unpleasant to have someone who is pirating as it were, setting standards and enforcing them.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

MB

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
how would mirc and the server check that? if someone "crack" mirc, then it's no way to check if it's a legit copy of mirc or not. and as stated many times, mirc don't have anything to do with the servers or the channels, the servers are owned by others while mirc is created by Khaled, so the channels will have owners that havent been paying for there mirc, and they can use mirc even due the trial period come to a end.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
As Sparta says, mIRC is not affiliated with any IRC networks/channels. mIRC is just one of many IRC clients, most of which are free anyway.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
that and they might not even use mIRC but any of the dozens of other IRC clients out there...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Originally Posted By: MetalDom
I have had this come up now and then,
where a channel owner and/or an op are not registered.

I'll assume that by registered, you meant registering their mIRC.

Some of these folks will even teach people how to continue using the program on a trial basis, for years on end.

I think it would be really great if someone would require
that channel owners and their ops be registered and licensed users.

Which channels are you talking about? All channels in the world?

I paid for my license, because I realized just how much work went,
into this, and that is continues to be upgraded.

It is really unpleasant to have someone who is pirating as it were, setting standards and enforcing them.

Does pirating have anything to do with this? On another topic, I thought pirating mIRCs were in fact, illegal, just that, not much is done to it. For example, it's against the law to include a "plain" mIRC in a .zip file along with other stuff.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

MB

Wish I knew.

I was in a discussion that it is against the law to not register for your mIRC, but Efnet #mIRC staff told me that Khaled himself refuses to enforce that (he would be going against dead people and children).

-Neal.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: LostShadow
I was in a discussion that it is against the law to not register for your mIRC, but Efnet #mIRC staff told me that Khaled himself refuses to enforce that (he would be going against dead people and children).

Huh? There's no law that says you have to register it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
There is no "law", but there is a license agreement that says you must register mIRC by the end of the 30 days. While it doesn't explicitly state what you can do if you don't register by the end of the 30 days, its implied that you should stop using it.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Originally Posted By: argv0
There is no "law", but there is a license agreement that says you must register mIRC by the end of the 30 days. While it doesn't explicitly state what you can do if you don't register by the end of the 30 days, its implied that you should stop using it.

Khaled has always been very nice about his software. It keeps working even after the trial, and you register it based on an honor system. I registered mine after using it a couple of years way back in the 90's because it just seemed like the right thing to do. Trouble is, I can't find my key to put in the registration windows. I have tried contacting the site, but all they do is send me some canned email reply referring me back to the site. I've been register for at least ten years, and hopefully they keep records.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Originally Posted By: bpilati
Trouble is, I can't find my key to put in the registration windows.

Contact Khaled privately via email (khaled@mirc.com), he is usually quick to respond to such an issue if the automated recovery page isn't working for you.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard