mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
O
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
O
Hi, I'm new here. I've did a search through the forums and google to see if there wasn't a way in mIRC to change the log files extension to something like .txt instead of .log, but i couldn't find anything. I always wondered why mIRC lack this features because most other clients allow me to change the default log file extension. I think this would be a nice feature to add to the next version of mIRC.

I actually have all my IRC logs avaliable to public with apache from my PC, but it sucks now because I have to use a second client just to log and mIRC to chat, since i prefer mirc interface and features and most browsers at school wont let users open log files

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

You can't just rename the log files with txt extensions? They're just txt files with log extensions.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If you want you can explicitly set the filenames (and extensions) of log files for specific windows using the /log command. It's not very practical if you want to share logs for all your windows though.

I find it a bit of a strange option to want to be honest. The only reason you need it is because of an extremely specific and unlikely situation here since neither web servers nor web browsers care about file extensions, they only care about MIME types, so it's only the extension-based blocking at the school that's posing a problem. And for that there's a very simple answer that doesn't require an obscure feature for mIRC: Use mod_rewrite with a .htaccess file in your mIRC logs directory to make Apache map .txt extensions in requested URLs to .log extensions on the server.

I know you were asking for a feature rather than asking for another way to solve the problem but that seems like a far more appropriate solution than adding a feature that I suspect very few people would have a use for. Then again, it's not up to me, so we'll just have to wait and see if it's in the next version of mIRC.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.

Link Copied to Clipboard