mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#18988 13/04/03 03:32 AM
Q
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Q
I was going through an old script I had written with voice commands and couldn't enable voice commands in mIRC.

/vcmd on
* Voice commands startup failed
//echo -a *** $vcmdver
(no SR software installed)
//echo -a *** $vcmdstat
-> *** 1
(SR software available but currently off)

I have Speech API 5.0 installed (running Windows 2000 SP3); are there any plans to support this? Last I checked, only version 4 (the 'old' old version) is supported (and isn't compatible with Windows XP), and the only disadvantages of 5.x are higher system requirements and a lack of compatibility with Windows 95 (which is obsolete, anyways).

* Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
and the only disadvantage of 5.x is that it isn't compatible with Windows 95 (but who uses Windows 95, anyways?).

You are talking to a guy who kept Windows 3.1 support in mIRC until February 2002, I doubt we'll be seeing Windows 95 support going away anytime soon smile

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
u can infact load and run the old 4.0 engine onto ur XP cause ive done it and mine works fine ....... u should check out microsofts sapi engines download page as it has it available on there

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I'm not sure from your post if you are running 2k or xp, but SAPI 4 and 5 can coexist. See the "note to xp users" here under step3 which has a link to get SAPI 4 runtime binaries

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yes they can exist, but why would you opt to run old/buggy software? If a new version is released it is generally because it contains improved performance and/or bug fixes.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
good point.. except as i discovered while helping someone with an agent prob shortly after xp was released, Microsoft Agent uses SAPI 4.0 to provide speech services. Windows XP ships with SAPI 5.0 which does not provide backward compatibility support for its predecessor. Seems to me i eventually found that info in the MS website maze.
hrm.. lemme find the email i sent passing the info along

yep.. here

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well the way I see it, for MS, the company that kept MSDOS support in Windows for like 10 years, to just decide to remove backwards compatibility for SAPI4 means that version 4 had so many problems, NO ONE should use it.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It could just as easily have been an oopsie or "improvement". Latest is not always greatest. Regardless of their reasoning on this, they say clearly that if xp users want to play with MSAgent speech engine, they have to get SAPI 4 runtime binaries. Whether they have future plans for tweaking SAPI 5 or agent, only they know.

Link Copied to Clipboard