mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Fishy Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
Hi. I already have a nickname registered and I've decided to change it to something else but I don't know how. I don't mind giving up the old nickname but I would rather not if I don't have to. So, how can I register a new nickname? It would be nice if I could transfer old settings so that I can keep my auto h-op and voice when I come in. Help please! smile Thanks in advance

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Registering a nickname has nothing to do with mIRC. It's a service provided by some individual networks. You register a new nickname in the same way you registered your first one (either with NickServ, which is the most common, or whatever other network service exists). Just change over to your new nickname and do what you did before.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot transfer old settings to a new nickname, or transfer "registration" to a new nickname. You have to start afresh.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
F
Fishy Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
Ahh okay, will do. Thank you for the help smile

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Many versions of nickserv have a group or link option, which allows you to group/link your current nick with one that is already registered. By doing that, your current nick is automatically registered with the same password as the already registered nick, and all nicks in the group share the same settings.

You can check this out by typing
/msg nickserv help group
or
/msg nickserv help link

Normally only one of those will work.

Link Copied to Clipboard