mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
34512 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Hey mIRC developer.

I use IRC (mIRC) 8 years, and i dont see any progress in IRC protocol.

Maybe you can start to develop Peer to Peer protocol for IRC ? Ofcorse it must work with server too, but Peer 2 Peer will be used for DCC(File transfer) / Video transfer / Voice transfer.

It will be greate if not only your web and program(mirc) will be in "21st century" but IRC protocol too(irc servers).

Some idea:
Server has all IP's of clients, thoes ip will be used for p2p network

People please support, dont make IRC to die..

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
mIRC is a client for IRC. As you mentioned yourself, any changes need to be made in the IRC protocol. Khaled does not have any say in how the IRC protocol is administered.

-genius_at_work

T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
Well, he can redesign the IRC protocol to his liking, by writing an IRCd of his own, and making mIRC fit itself onto it.

But I don't think that because of that, all the other IRC networks in the world will switch to the new protocol ^_^

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Not to bash on about it but Khaled could add voice/cam support without going through IRC at all. In fact you dont even want this to go trough IRC or any centralized server to begin with. /CTCP would be suited to initiate a connection, where the connections are on an allow basis. Wouldn't hurt no one if it was added :p

$maybe
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well one of the main reasons IRC hasn't developed much is because it's just as useful now as it was 10 years ago. The only real issues with IRC as a text chat protocol are that it was designed for 8-bit text encodings whereas if it were designed today it would almost certainly be built around UTF-8 to eliminate the annoying encoding problems.

Everything you're talking about is covered by DCC, so there's no reason for IRC to be changed. DCC is already a peer-to-peer (Direct Client-to-Client) protocol. Video and voice chat are already possible over DCC, and although I probably wouldn't use it much I think mIRC could benefit from supporting it so I agree with you there.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What about clients that don't support it?

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Don't support what?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Where does a "P2P network" (I'm assuming that means "filesharing network") come into this whole picture anyway? I thought this suggestion was for video/audio streaming?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

He means video/audio chat support. I guess maybe he doesn't realize that DCC is more or less the same as P2P and video/audio chat would be possible using DCC.

34512 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
DCC is p2p, BUT its too "sux" to be a real p2p.. we need a big and good designed p2p network, so if 2 people do not have a real static ip, so the files/voice/video will be transfered thrue other clients.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I would fight to the death against that crap. Single one on one video/audio chat connections is one thing, what you're proposing is very much another and has no place on IRC imo. Give you guys an inch and you want five miles.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It's not Khaled's responsibility to design "networks", his job in this scenario would only be to make a client stream video to another singular client. The fact that you keep injecting the word "network" leads me to believe you're barking up the wrong tree here

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I'm not sure I get what you want. Or perhaps I'm more worried that I do. What do static IPs have to do with anything? What possible benefits could there be for involving any peers other than the sender and the recipient in voice/video/file connections?

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Now it sounds like some sharing "database" with clients holding data for others - a p2p in the sense of file sharing - and an IRC client is NOT meant for such an end...

Link Copied to Clipboard