1) How do I get rid of the god awful new icons and get the much cleaner and easier on the eyes ones back? (The new ones look like they were drawn by a 1st grader with those big fat crayons, HORRID to look at.) We should learn that changing things just "cuz it wud b 2 kewl 2 do" is NOT a good reason to change. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
It's not a change for change's sake. mIRC had been using old icons for in excess of 10 years, the aesthetic of the Windows UI has changed drastically since then, leaving mIRC's old icons looking very much out of place on any resonably new version of Windows (at least XP onwards). Because of this a lot of people wanted the change and from what I've seen the response has been overwhelmingly positive (you're only the second person I've seen who doesn't like them). In any case, if you want to use the old toolbar icons you can probably find the bitmap image of the old icons in the correct format online. Once you've found and downloaded it, right click the toolbar in mIRC and go to Buttons
, then Select..
and choose the bitmap of the old icons. The other icons (switchbar etc.) can't be changed easily, but quite frankly they're not that much different from the old ones anyway.
2) When I close mIRC and then restart it later, all of the conversation from previous sessions is still displayed in each channel? Im not sure who would ever want all that garbage clagging up the channels or hogging up their hard rive but how the heck do I turn that 'feature' off?
Well I don't know why you chat if you consider your conversations "garbage", and the space taken up by logs is infitesimal compared to modern hard drive capacities, but OK, your choice I guess. To disable these features go to the mIRC Options
dialog, on the side-treebar select IRC
, then Logging
, and then:
- Set the Reload logs
dropdown to None
to stop the logs being reloaded into chats
- Set the Automatically log
dropdown to None
to stop the logs being kept at all (and dream of what you can do with that extra 2MB of HDD space!)
3) The 'Clear History' link in the File - Recent Servers menu does not work. By default there are about 15 servers listed and I want to clear that out. The 'feature' is broken as it does not clear the list.
The Clear History
link works fine. The menu will simply list the first dozen or so servers from servers.ini in alphabetical order if you clear the list.
4) How do I get rid of the line that randomly shows up in every window?
I assume you mean the line marker. Go to the mIRC Options
dialog, on the side-treebar select Display
, then Options
, and then press the Line Marker...
button. Then uncheck the Show line marker