mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#189087 03/11/07 09:08 PM
A
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
A
I fear new things, that's why I killed that treebar...
but the icons? Man, I miss them... How do I get it back?

dikke tuut
Anoniempje

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Check 'view' > 'toolbar' in the menubar. . (If you also disabled that menubar, you can access the 'view' menu by right-clicking the titlebar of mIRC.)

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I'm thinking he means the previous (pre 6.31) style icons.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The old icons aren't available anymore. You can always make your own icons for the toolbar buttons, of course.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You'd have to rip them out of 6.3 manually-- though I bet by the time you muster up the patience to do that you'd have already gotten used to the new ones.

Change is daunting, but it's easier to deal with when you embrace it.

Someone needs a hug.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I can fix u a toolbar with the old style icons if you want? just send me a mess and i fix it when i have the time..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
E
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
E
I'm very digusted with the new icons.
why Khaled changed them to new ones?
I would like the old icons back.
I will use resource hacker or resource editor to change them myself.

ELY M.
T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
You know, I don't understand why people suddenly "hate the new look" of mIRC.
Man, it's just icons, I myself, have never actually paid any attention to the icons, I love the old ones, and I love the new ones.

As far as the treebar goes, not my favourite, but hey, that can be easily disabled, so I did.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Agreed. The icons don't look bad, so even if you prefer one over the other, being "disgusted" is a bit overstated. Regardless, the buttons are customizable, so who cares? Just make new ones or download ones already made.

Invision Support
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
...and I thought I'm a bit conservatively-minded... but maybe I never had to face such dramatic revolutions... like the modification of some icons. shocked
Joking apart: don't you think you'll accustom to the new icons in one week or two? I know folks who didn't even notice the change. smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Heh, the only thing I have to complain about with the new icons is that now I have to find someone willing to update Invision's icons so that they don't look bad. Most people liked our icons and used them instead of mIRC's, but now mIRC's make ours look really bad. Hehe. Oh well, trying to find graphic artists willing to help out is not easy, so Invision users will just have to choose between shiny new icons in mIRC or the older ones in Invision. smile

Invision Support
P
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
P
The new mIRC icons suck goats. They look like a retarded kid with a fat crayon drew them. VERY horrid and difficult to look at for any length of time. The others were very clean and simple. These, well I just don't know what else to say. I hate it that everyone wants to try to emulate Vista, Windows Explorer, and all the other software that emphasizes presentation over content. Whoever designed these icons should be shot and then beheaded just in case...

Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
sparta,

PLEASE let me know when you have created a toolbar with the old icons! I have very bad vision and the shaded colors of the new icons are VERY hard to see (without massively magnifying my screen)! The 'flat' look of the old icons was much easier on my eyes.

I'm sending you a private message too (as you requested), but post the information in the forum as well, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this difficulty. Thanks!

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You can find a bitmap containing the old toolbar icons here. Once you've downloaded it you can use that instead of the new icons by right-clicking on the toolbar, Buttons, then Select... and choosing that image.

Edit: Fixed stupid mistake.

Last edited by starbucks_mafia; 21/11/07 05:46 PM.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
starbucks_mafia,

Thanks for the effort, unfortunately there are two problems with your solution:

1) Instead of choosing Background, you need to choose Buttons, then proceed according to your instructions. This is a minor problem, and if this fix worked, then all would be fine.

However...

2) The buttons on the old toolbar (at least on the bitmap you provided) are arranged in a different order than on the new toolbar.

For example, the 6.31 "DCC Options" icon is replaced with a Stopwatch (which should be for Online Timer), and the "Notify List" icon is replaced with the old "DCC Options" icon. Other icons are similarly re-arranged. This is obviously a MAJOR problem, and the results (icons that don't match their functions) are worse than the new 6.31 icons.

Can anybody else help?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Sorry about that, just typed the wrong word when I wrote the instructions.

As for the bitmap, I didn't make it. Personally I've never felt the need to change the icons so I don't know what the precise layout of the image needs to be, although I don't know why it would've changed since that bitmap was created (assuming it was ever correct). In any case, I'm sure someone can use that image to put them in the correct layout.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
More than just re-arranging the icons is needed, at least one of the icons is completely missing from the toolbar you provided: The "crayons" icon which is used to choose mIRC's text and background colors. There may be more differences, but that difference was (almost) immediately apparent.

I think a newer bitmap is needed. The one you supplied is dated August 22nd, 2000. I'm sure a few features have been added to the toolbar in seven years! smile

Please note, I'm not complaining, just clarifying things. I truly do appreciate your help!

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
These are taken from 6.3 and appear to work:

Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
Collective,

That toolbar works great, THANKS!

I didn't even have to edit out the magenta background (why I don't know, but I'm happy it wasn't necessary).

Thanks again!

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
Sorry to bump back up that topic but... Is there any way to change the switchbar icons? They are now a lot brighter and it makes things harder to read when one has a big switchbar. Plus they're brightblue in the icon's title bar while winclassic typically is darkblue, which makes things even worse.

Last edited by DeathWolf; 26/02/08 01:35 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard