C
CBarlow Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I have used mIRC for a LONG time.

Now, all of a sudden, I cannot run it. This is the message:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item".

I have uninstalled several times, cleared the registry, and reinstalled 6.3. No go.

In order to reach my chat channel, I have had to download and use Pirch.

Ideas, please?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Are logged in as an administrator on your computer? You may have it set to only run as an administrator.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
CBarlow Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Thanks.
I am shown as the Administrator. No other person is listed. This has not been changed since mIRC ran correcty.

I will take a look and also permit a "Guest" to be shown.
I just turned the "Guest" account on. Also set up the NET Passport.

Does not run, so I might restart now.

Last edited by CBarlow; 26/10/07 10:47 PM.
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
You installed any new antivirus/anti-spyware applications recently? Some overzealous programs will quarantine mIRC.

C
CBarlow Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I installed the 2008 version of F-Secure about the time the problem began. Also made router act like a modem.

Re-configured modem and router last night, which fixe problem of being out of bank stuff.

I will search F-Secure and see if there are any clues. I did stop the F-Secure firewall and the Windows firewall, one at a time and at the same time, to no avail.

Thanks for the answer.

C Barlow

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sounds like Fsecure is probably the cause. I don't know anything about it, but I do know that certain antivirus/antispyware software will not be completely shut down even if you tell it to. You might want to try uninstalling it and see if that helps. You can always reinstall it later.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
CBarlow Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
You all identified the problem.
I called F-Secure tech support, talked to a man who as usual knows his business, and we:

1. Unloaded F-Secure.
mIRC ran.
2. Loaded F-Secure.
mIRC would not run.
3. Ran F-Secure main screen.
Went to Internet shield.
F-Secure indicated mIRC was malware.
Choices: Delete, Quarantine, Remove from Scan, and ignore.
Chose to remove from scan.
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot, my friends...

C Barlow

T
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
T
I am having the same problem and I am thinking my program Malwarebye may of cause this problem, I notice it had add mirc to its quarantine list so I restore it, but this has not fix my problem. If you find an answer please let me know. Thanyou Tom1Time

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If Malwarebytes quarantines mIRC, restoring it is just a temporary fix, because it will want to quarantine mIRC the next time too. Under settings/exclusions you can add mIRC there. For me, Malwarebytes left mIRC alone except for wanting to quarantine aliases.ini.

However, you should also beware of the knee-jerk reaction to ignore warnings about mIRC. It might not hurt to verify your mIRC hasn't been corrupted. See the command shown in
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/261762/Re:_mIRC_crashes_from_time_to_#Post261762
if you're using version 7.51, the "ok" should be there and the hexadecimal number preceding it should be the same.

If you find the alias in the following thread reports that you have very slow disk writes, in your realtime-scan antivirus program you should probably exclude folders where mirc does a lot of disk writing to.
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/260678/Windows_8.1_/write_very_very_v#Post260678

For Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender, and probably others, excluding a folder doesn't exclude subfolders below it, so you should probably exclude the folder where mirc.ini is located and also the folder where your logfiles are written.

Last edited by maroon; 16/02/18 07:21 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard