mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#187867 14/10/07 12:10 PM
P
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
This prolly already been reported but underline control code (Control+U) on windows vista, althow still works, shows no indication that it's there, no char. at all... it's invisable

mIRC Scripting: So easy a caveman could do it.
V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
Yeah you're right.
I thought this was my font, This really annoyed me too.
Glad it's not just me crazy

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I primarily use "Arial Narrow" - which shows no "block" when using ctrl-u aka $chr(31) to underline text - on an XP system. I suppose it's only up to the charset of one's font...

Edit:
Thinking it over again; I don't remember I ever "saw" a ascii 031 on my machine so far, whatever font used.. but never I regarded this a bug.
Maybe someone can explain the cause for this (pointing out it's not (only) a vista-issue) smile

Last edited by Horstl; 14/10/07 12:53 PM.
P
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Yeah, not mattering what font I use it just doesn't show up...
It's there..
Just no char shown.. Line cursor stays in same position as if nothing's there

well I guess it's not just an mIRC issue then but it's gonna be confusing... Maybe there's something that can be done.. being it's a control code for irc that can't be changed to a different char.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
This is a Vista issue. The font sets or the way they are displayed in Vista are different than in XP. You'll notice that all the control codes ctrl+burco all show different characters than they did in XP.

-genius_at_work

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In XP, if you installed the Japanese code pages, you had that problem as well. Ctrl-B was an L-shaped character rather than a square, for example. And one of the characters (I think it was Ctrl-U) was just a blank "space".

Chances are that Vista installs this code page automatically. If you were to remove that code page if you don't need it, you may see the character again. I'm not sure if there's another way to see it without removing the code page(s) that are causing the issue.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Some years ago, I installed "asian languages support" thingies... so that's a likely reason.
My "bold" looks like all the other burko (besides the invisible "u" mentioned, and I'm used to it) ... ty

P
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Yeah I know it's a vista issue, but the thing is... the problem is not gonna go away..... It's not considered a bug that would be fixed by windows update.... therefor even thow it's not mIRC at fault... mIRC should still change the way it's displayed somehow if possible... Otherwise will be confusing for all who don't know about the issue, and all new users...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unless mIRC starts changing ASCII codes for specific characters, which would not be a good idea and I doubt will happen, the only thing mIRC could do would be to use a $chr for the underline control code. The problem with that is that mIRC would have to somehow support all old scripts that use the original $chr as well and that could prove to be a problem.

I think the best way is to try and find some method of removing the Japanese language code page from Vista. Perhaps some IT forum would have information on doing that. Vista's supposed to be secure, but there should be a way to get around it and remove that code page, even if it's changing the registry by hand to do so.

Invision Support
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I actually installed the asian language support on purpose... and it IS annoying but indeed something mIRC can do very little about, except for rendering the ^codes himself instead of showing the fonts own... but I have no idea if that is possible and how much problems that would cause with copy/pasting

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Long a go I was thinking about modifying an "open" font. The idea was simply to replace the "squares" of burco, to give all control codes a consistent but distinct looking char, thus making the font usefull for the scripts editor (NOT the editbox or chat) ... but I dropped the whole idea smile

Something like (single chars: squares arround a small letter):
ctrl-b > [b] ... ctrl-u > [u] ... ctrl-r > [r] ... ctrl-c > [c] ... ctrl-o > [o]
One could add $chr(160) > [s] and $chr(9) > [t] as well...

P
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
Yeah I have no idea how or if it would be possible to change the way it's displayed either... as far as the work around (removing code page or changing registry or whatever) that's a solution for those who bother to look into the problem and want to fix it but most novice users either won't know how or won't bother......

I mean it doesn't bother me I'm just sayin something should be done where the user doesn't have to modify anything....... I dunno what thow... just a thought.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, it is annoying. I'd like to have the Asian code pages installed, but because of the issue with Ctrl-O, I don't. I just really don't know that there is a good way around this problem, though.

I suppose mIRC could possibly "fake" the ctrl code characters when displaying them in mIRC, but when you copy/paste them into something else, they revert to the actual characters. That could work without actually changing the ASCII codes themselves. I'm not sure how possible that would be, though. mIRC does "draw" the display using a rich edit control, so it should be possible. I don't think dialogs are rich edit, though. So it may be limited to only the display in the main windows.

Invision Support
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
If I could figure out how to remove those code pages, I so would. Unfortunately, I can't figure out where (if anywhere) that this is accomplished on a Windows Vista Ultimate x64 installation. If anyone can give me any insight into this procedure, it would be appreciated.

-genius_at_work

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
From what I know, you can't remove them anymore, because they aren't "added". Multilingual codepages are included in Vista by default now; it's not an option. Inevitably, that was going to happen. Vista users are really out of luck until Khaled finds a better solution, which may not happen until mIRC goes natively unicode like the underlying Vista system it's running on.

PS. PhireCoder is right. This *is* a bug, and likely a serious one. In XP it was semi-reasonable to say that a specific optional codepage was incompatible with mIRC. It is completely unreasonable to make that statement for a *default* codepage. All Vista users have this problem.. eventually, you all will too. There is no workaround; and if there was, it would not be anywhere near reasonable to suggest for *every Vista user* just to use one program. At some point we have to realize that we're no longer living in an ASCII world.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Originally Posted By: argv0
At some point we have to realize that we're no longer living in an ASCII world.

Not? Damn :'(

What about my beaver, will he vanish too?

<><(,,ยด`>

Oh and to be ontopic, all are right, vista got it by default and it's optional under WinXP and Win2K.

Have the same "Problem" here on XP. wink

one step closer to world domination
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm bumping this topic to the top to see if anyone's come up with a solution for a fixed font that shows the BURKO codes. Under XP I had been using v2 of Fixedsys Excelsior, and I found v3 at http://www.fixedsysexcelsior.com/

While it does show the B/K/O codes fine, the ^R shows like a strange line-draw symbol, and ^U not at all. Strange that Fixedsys-Excelsor shows like a hard space in the script editor, but takes no horizontal space when I also make it my status window's font.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'd love to see a proposed solution by Khaled as well. It's been quite a while since Vista is out, and it's about time mIRC starts doing something about this one.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
yah, i had this on one of my comps too.. (XP)

This is not the signature you are looking for

Link Copied to Clipboard