Self-satisified door
R
i recently installed mIRC and now i cant seem to get it to run =/

anybody know what the problem is??

please help..

AHHHH; rickEEEE
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What happens when you try to run it? If it doesn't start at all, it could be that you are running overly-aggressive anti-virus software that is incorrectly thinking that mIRC is a trojan/virus and is preventing it from starting up. If that's the case, you might need to update your anti-virus software.

R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
nuthin happens.... i double klick the icon but it doesnt start up... =/

AHHHH; rickEEEE
T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
Hi,

Maybe you have the minimize to tray option ON and when you start it your windows hides the icon by default?

Check with task manager is the process mirc.exe is running.

Kind Regards

Last edited by tontito; 27/09/07 10:45 PM.
R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
nope nuthin =/ can someone help me please...

AHHHH; rickEEEE
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Did you rename mirc.exe? mIRC has an internal check that stops the program running if the filename doesn't start with "mirc".

If that's not it, have you tried re-downloading mIRC and then re-installing?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Which version of Windows are you using? Are you using anti-virus software? If you are, turn off your anti-virus software and then try running mIRC again. If mIRC does run, the cause is your anti-virus software.

D
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
D
i got same problem... i use mirc 6.14... it worked yesterday... and not opening today... I installed mirc 6.3.... same problem... i even downloaded anti-virus and spy scanners checked... NOTHING and still wont work :'(

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can't think of a reason other than those I've mentioned, that is: anti-virus or firewall software that are preventing mIRC from running. If you install a clean copy of mIRC 6.3 in an empty folder and try to run it and nothing at all happens, then this usually means that Windows, or another application, is preventing mIRC from running. If you find the cause behind this issue please let us know.

D
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
D
how can it be?!... i didnt change anything :\ firewall is allways on and i downloaded anti-virus after this problem started :S

didnt even download anything laugh

i even watched "autostart program viewer" there isnt any new program running... as i can see only solution is "format C:\" :\
but its interesting... only mirc isnt working :\ else is fine :S

Last edited by danter; 30/10/07 05:30 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, I can't think of a reason why mIRC would work one day and then stop working the next, unless something on your computer changed. The fact that this issue affects mIRC 6.14, which was released three years ago, and mIRC 6.3, probably means it affects all versions of mIRC.

Normally what happens is that anti-virus and firewall software auto-update their signature files with new signatures that incorrectly treat mIRC as a trojan/virus and prevent it from running.

Which firewall software are you using?

D
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
D
Windows XP own firewall :\

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It would really help if you could try to narrow down the cause of this issue. I'd suggest closing down all background applications, including anti-virus/firewall software. If mIRC still doesn't run, open Task Manager and close down other non-essential background applications and then try running mIRC again. If mIRC still doesn't run, try restarting Windows in safe mode and then run mIRC. If mIRC still doesn't run, try copying mirc.exe into an empty folder with an empty mirc.ini file and then running it.

D
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
D
well... i closed all things on backround.... nothing
tryed safe mode.... still nothing...
now i turned off firewall... still nothing
welll i think it cant be firewall because firewall wouldnt allow me connect... but i cant start mirc... shows 1 sec sandwatch and nothing after that

i have tryed everything nothing helps :\

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What you are describing is what happens when antivirus programs block programs that they consider to be "unsafe" or "unwanted". Note that antivirus programs usually download updates automatically and such an update can change how they handle mIRC causing it to suddenly stop running. This isn't to say it's any kind of antivirus program, but the hour glass appearing for a second and then nothing happening is exactly what happens when a program (usually antivirus) blocks mIRC from running.

Also note that just closing an antivirus program will not necessarily keep it from running. Some, such as Norton, cannot be completely stopped without either uninstalling it completely or else going through a lot of work to stop everything.

One option you could try would be to use a System Restore (if enabled) to go back to a time before the problem started and see if that solves the problem for you. Then, you just need to keep an eye out in case it stops working again so that you can get a better idea of what's causing it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
D
sorry...
as i sayd "i didnt have any anti-virus program" before this problem!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for looking into it. I can't explain it I'm afraid. It really doesn't make any sense that one day all versions of mIRC would work on your computer, and then the next day no versions of mIRC would work, even with a clean install. That clearly indicates a change on your system and that something is preventing mIRC from running. If you manage to find out the cause, please let us know.

D
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
D
hmm this is very interesting shocked
i downloaded and installed my friends mirc "with stuff and etc"
it works fine and runs on 6.16 shocked my mirc isnt still opening shocked
i even made windows updates laugh still nothing

But what u can see shocked i copyed hes exe file to mine folder and WOAH it started :S how could that be?!

and other will there be any problems when i have 6.14 with 6.16 exe? laugh

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Did you rename mirc.exe? If so, the file name must begin with mirc or it will not run, this was done some versions back for security.

RoCk #188849 31/10/07 04:20 PM
D
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
D
well i didnt rename mirc.exe...
my exe file were damaged somehow shocked and didnt start... copyed over with my friends... all works fine smile
but mirc 6.3 sill not working :DD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard