Print Thread
S
sanderk Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Hi,

Recently i ran into problems using dcc send. I configured mirc to use ports 5000 to 5001. (Tools -> options -> Connect -> options -> advanced). I have those ports forwarded in my adsl modem to my pc.
When i dcc-send a file to my remote server and snif the packet on the server, I see it asks my server to connect to port 5009 of my home machine, not 5000 nor 5001.
In different attemps it uses different ports. in the range 5000 - 5010-ish. i only dcc-send 1 file at the time. when i uses 5000 or 5001 dcc works fine.

In mirc.ini i see 5000 to port 5001. (not 5010!)

I dont understand why it uses other ports then the ones i have configured.
Is this an error in my mirc config (i dont use any script addons)

anyone has a suggestion ?

thanks in advance
Sander

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC will try to use your specified port range, however if the ports are in use it will default to using any available port. Note that if a port has recently been used and closed, Windows may place that port in a close wait state for a short period, which makes the port unavailable. One way to monitor port usage/status is to use TcpView.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As mentioned, you can't use a port that is already in use or in a wait state. 2 ports is rarely enough to have open. Usually 10 is a good number for most people.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
sanderk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thanks both for your reply, and even a reply from Khaled himself, what an honour =], right back to the case;

Changed the config in mIRC (didnt restart mIRC) to use 11 ports (5000 to 5010) also changed my adsl modem, to forward that range to my pc.
Then I installed tcpview (used netstat -an before) to see what mIRC did when i dcc-send a file to my server (whilst sniffing).

Initiated a dcc send and before pressing the "accept" button in the mIRC DCC Get Dialog box, i looked at TCPview, it told me that mIRC opened a new port, and was now listening on port 5000.
On the receiving machine i looked in the sniffer and found that the dcc send packet arrived asking to connect to port 5002.
part of the sniffing result;
.DCC SEND Artist - Song.mp3 1381834099 5002 10309066

When i accepted the DCC on the receiving side, it failed to connect. I'm using mIRC 6.3

I dont understand why mIRC listens on 5000 and asks the receiver to connect on 5002. Is there somthing I overlook ?

thanks in advance once again :]
Sander

Q
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Q
If you're uncertain, try just using "/debug on" on the sending and receiving system while sending the DCC request. It's very much possible that, if you are connected through a router, said router may be changing the port number within the DCC SEND message to one that it can accept connections on (and then redirect the incoming connection on your external port 5002, for example, back to your local port 5000).

* Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another
S
sanderk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
You're right, when i enabled debug mode, i found that mirc uses port 5000.
Some device decides to use 5002. Which only can be one "dodgy" component in the path towards my server and that is this speedtouch 716 modem.
I'll try to fix it by using different settings and not bug ppl here any further.

thanks for your help all!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That's most likely a NAT issue in the router, which is also a cause for most people who can't RESUME something they are sending to someone else. Some routers let you turn NAT off.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Originally Posted By: Riamus

Some routers let you turn NAT off.

First try connecting to IRC using a port other than 6667. Like 6665-6666,6668-6669,7000

S
sanderk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I kept testing and seems that this modem (speedtouch 716) replaces the original port number in the initial dcc send msg with any random port number within the range of the portmapping.

So i changed the range of the portmapping to 1 port, which gave me the desired result, DCC works \o/.

conclusion;
Product Name: SpeedTouch 716 WL
Software Release: 5.3.2.6.0
is a mess.

A firmware upgrade to 6.2 didnt make a difference.

thanks again all!

Link Copied to Clipboard