mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
G
I go to college and use their internet. Whenever I go to connect. It just simply says "Unable to resolve server". Now I am not positive, but I think it is because of the proxy on the internet. Is there any place I can enter the proxy and the port to allow me on the a server.

Last edited by Grahamkid; 10/09/07 10:56 PM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
options (alt+r) > connect > firewall

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Keep in mind that many colleges/universities do not allow certain kinds of connections from their servers. IRC is one that can be blocked by the college/university and attempting to bypass that block can get you expelled from the college/university. Make sure that you are allowed to connect before trying to get around any blocks that they have in place.

Note that if you are in the US, many colleges/universities will have you sign a network use policy when you start. These policies usually state something along the lines of "The network can only be used for educational purposes." That means that if they want to, they can take disciplinary action for using it for *anything* other than educational uses. In most cases, they won't do anything as long as you're not using a lot of bandwidth or doing something illegal (downloading music or warez), but some take their policy seriously and will not allow you to even use IM clients, let alone IRC. So, to be on the safe side, make sure you understand what you're allowed to do.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
F
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
F
They will most probably block the standard IRC ports (6665-7000) too. My university (UK) does this, as does a friend of mines in the US. If this is the case, there is no way around this.

But in agreement with Riamus2, probably best not to try IRC from college/uni.

Link Copied to Clipboard