mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#183987 24/08/07 09:00 AM
P
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
P
I'd like mIRC to have a suspend feature to save sessions and then resume them at a later time. It could be useful when I windows update and have to reboot after that. If this feature was available, I'd save/suspend the session and resume it after the reboot.
What do you think?

chadchoud @ DALnet
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
good idea.
whenever I start mirc and want to join my 5 favorite channels on 5 different servers, I have to do some klickwork... select server, activate the new window option which is always disabled, join the channel...
Sure, I could write a small script. but I think that there is a lot of mirc users who are different from me and just want to chat. Somebody could argue: "then, the kids should learn scripting". It's a matter of philosophy...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, you can easily join multiple networks and channels using a very small script (for those willing to do so), and the reload logs option would let you join the channels and still see the conversations. The only thing you'd lose would be query windows, though I'm sure it would be a simple matter to script a "suspend" option that saves all open windows and then rejoins them (including queries) and then reloads the logs.

In any case, it's not a bad idea, even if it wouldn't be much work to script. I wouldn't mind seeing such an option.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Well, you can easily join multiple networks and channels using a very small script (for those willing to do so)

Sure, Riamus. I'ts easy to do this for my own personal environment. But in the case that you want to distribute your script, it is not a trivial issue because then the script must handle everything dynamically. in a multi server environment the script must be able to extract the passwords from the servers.ini, it should keep trace of the current status of the tree bar and save it on exit, it should create a new status window whenever the user would connect to another server and so on...
It's not trivial at all. I tried it by myself. I had to add an alias to the connect icon property, I had to create some on logon event code etc. puh... I solved some problems, I have an idea how to solve further stuff, but for instance I still don't know how to create a new status window whenever I want to join a channel on a different server by selecting the channel with a klick on the favorites icon.
Maybe it is simple and I took the wrong approach to solve this problem. I don't know...

My goals for my script are:
* on start of mIRC, it shoud open with a dummy status window where custom windows that are not associated with a real-server cid will be stored (e.g. a log viewer, mp3 tag info, a special log that keeps track of important events etc.)
* this window has to be protected from being overwritten whenever the user would connect to a server (manually or by clicking on popups resp. icons)
* the script should store the current treebar status and restore it on next mIRC start.

The howto for the solution is off topic in this thread.
I just wanted to underline that features like "suspend" and/or saving permanently the option "new server window" would simplify the solution.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I wasn't saying it's a bad idea to add. smile

As for making a script that does it... yes, if you want to include login information and whatever else, it will take more coding. However, it really isn't hard to do... just time consuming.

Since you're talking about this for when you close and reopen mIRC, you don't really need to worry about the connect button, favorites list, or manually using /server. All you'd have to do is to /server -m all connections that were open in the first place. The script could maintain login information everytime a user logs in (though I think most people would not want that... maybe just have the script ask the user to enter the password themselves or something). Then just load up your logs. As far as the treebar, you can change the maximize/minimize of that by just using /window to maximize/minimize each channel/query in order to get the treebar the way it looked previously. That will most likely be your most complicated part of the script, though it shouldn't be *that* hard. And as far as making your custom windows show up in their own section rather than connected to a specific network's status window, just use the -z switch when creating it with /window. This puts it in its own section.

As you said, the how-to isn't really for this part of the forum. If you would like some help with setting that up, just start a thread in the scripting forum and someone will probably help you. You seem to know what you're doing already and probably have a script started for this, so you might want to show what you already have and maybe try what I said above before asking. That will allow people to just build off what you already have.

Anyhow, as I said, the feature being added isn't a bad idea.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard