The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Hello again.
2 bugs this time.

1. The default nickname upon an install is "OUNINST"

When I load mIRC, I ALWAYS use the portable switch.
Tested on WinXP Home & Pro with SP2, On upgrade and full install of mIRC 6.3

2. Portable switch does not keep registration status.
When mIRC is registered & validated, if you have loaded it and take it to another location, it does not accept the info and wants to validate it again... and again when you come back... and again... lol

There is some lines stored in the mirc.ini file (correctly), but it appears they dont work the same on different computers. (this sucks because one of the few PC's I use dosnt have internet access and I can't re-validate, forcing me to see the screen that was paid to go away)

Notes about my setup:
$nodir($mircexe) = "mirc.jd.exe"
$portable = $true
$os = XP
$version = 6.3

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't deal with portable setups, but I do know that 6.3 has a new -noreg switch, which may be what you need for issue #2.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
As quoted from the mIRC help file (Command Line Switches):

-portable
This is a combination of the -r and -noreg switches.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The first issue is due to mIRC 6.3 no longer supporting the -nouninst parameter. I should have kept it in for backward compatibiliy since -n is for setting your nickname. This has been fixed for the next version.

The second issue, if you install mIRC on a portable drive and validate it on that drive, the license should work on that drive regardless which computer you use it with. If you move mIRC to a different drive and computer altogether, then yes it will ask you to validate. mIRC does assume that it will be used as an IRC client to connect to IRC servers, etc. and that there will be an internet connection available.

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Could it be made, for future versions, that if it has the correct validation code in the mirc.ini file it is running, it will "work" despite not being ran in portable mode and the computer not having the info in the registry?

Here is what I mean.
1. The validation information is in the mirc.ini.
2. mIRC is run NOT in portable mode. Simply double clicking the exe to get it to run.
3. The info is NOT in the registry.

T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Lol, I forgot that the loader I made uses the "-nouninst" switch...

I was thinking the "ouninst" nick bug might be due to the (new) installer (and the "uninst"aller now found in $mircdir

It would be nice to see keys validated able to be used everywhere. I run a small IRC network at tech, in which my IT class keeps in touch with each other (without the teachers :))

Link Copied to Clipboard