Print Thread
#184098 25/08/07 02:36 PM
T
Taboen Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
I use many chat programs and one thing I miss with mIRC is people's status showing immediately in the nick list. Right now there is a away function which shows the reason of away in your server status box but this isn't sufficient. Most people use scripts to tell people they are away when they get queried. Or just set nickname to nickname`away or nickname`busy.
I use this:
Popups ; Channel ;
-
Status
.Online:/nick Taboen | /ebeeps on
.Busy:/nick Taboen`busy | /ebeeps off
.Food:/nick Taboen`food | /ebeeps off
.Away:/nick Taboen`away | /ebeeps off
.War:/nick Taboen`war | /ebeeps off
-

In Taboen there should be the nickname of the person. Notice the ebeeps off / on thing, also very usefull to prevent being disturbed while busy with something else.
This is a small addition but I think it can be a very good addition.
I think the best for most people would be this:
-
Status
.Online:/nick Taboen | /ebeeps on
.Busy:/nick Taboen`busy | /ebeeps off
.Away:/nick Taboen`away
-

The only thing that has to be changed to this script is that Taboen would be automatically filled with his/her nickname somehow.

Taboen #184106 25/08/07 03:43 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Code:
Status
.Online : .nick $mnick | .ebeeps on
.Busy : .nick $+($me,`busy) | .ebeeps off
.Food : .nick $+($me,`food) | .ebeeps off
.Away : .nick $+($me,`away) | .ebeeps off
.War : .nick $+($me,`war) | .ebeeps off

I, personally, use my alternative nick when going away, so if you do that, you can use:
Code:
.Away : .nick $anick | .ebeeps off

These, of course, are just some suggestions

Taboen #184107 25/08/07 03:46 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
One problem that arises with this suggestion is nick length. Many networks would not support that length, particularly for people who already have reasonably long nicknames. mIRC also cannot display an /away message like some Java clients might (i.e. with features like 'Do Not Disturb') for a number of reasons (e.g. not everyone uses mIRC, none of the information is obtainable from the server without a /whois, and away messages can change, so mIRC would constantly have to /whois everyone in a channel).

It's simply not practical to implement this, as far as I can see. This is a mere variant of the suggestion to change people's nicklist colour when they are set /away.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Taboen #184180 26/08/07 11:06 AM
T
Taboen Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
Okey, I understand.
Then I think RusselB's script would be a good addition. When you are away your nick changes to your alternative nick. But it's up to you if it's worth adding it.

Taboen #184219 26/08/07 05:12 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
The scripting language is there to support people who want extra additions such as this, not for scripts to be pre-installed with releases of mIRC. There are myriad of away scripts on various scripting websites, of varying complexity, see www.mirc.net http://www.mircscripts.org & www.mircscripts.com

As clarification, I make no decisions as to what does and does not go into mIRC, I'm just pointing out why it's unlikely that this suggestion will. Thanks for taking the time to post though.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard