mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
N
Well, I do not think it's flooding because I tried 3 different scripts for "anti-flooding" in mirc 6.21. Basically, it kinda happens to a certain server that I connect (mainly because I use XDCC). Today, it happened 6 times - I connect, and 5 minutes later mirc is like... basically the internet just died. I restart the PC, it's back on. So whenever I use mirc and get unfortunate enough, I get disconnected from internet. It is extremely repetitive, which makes me suspect it's a "nuke". When it happens, my ZoneALarm task-icon shows that the "IN" (internet into my PC) bar is full. Could it be because I download files... or it's a server? Is there any way to stop this? Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

And, this is what stuff I get right when I just connect.

* Connecting to irc.abjects.net (6667)
-
-mars.on.ca.abjects.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
-
-mars.on.ca.abjects.net- *** Found your hostname, cached
-
-mars.on.ca.abjects.net- *** Checking Ident
-
-mars.on.ca.abjects.net- *** No Ident response
-
Welcome to The Abjects IRC Network .....................

Last edited by namby_trojan; 21/08/07 03:11 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
That's standard response for any network that you connect to, changing the network/server names and port as applicable.

Next time this happens, see if your web browser still works. If it does, then your internet has not died, but something in mIRC has caused mIRC to lock up. This is probably a script (I note you state you use XDCC, which is scripted).

You should try with your scripts unloaded, or if you don't want to unload them, then use the /remote off command to turn them off.

Eventually, if your internet hasn't dies, you will need to unload all of your scripts, then reload them one at a time until you find which script is causing the freeze.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks. Umm, by "internet died" I meant the mirc, the web-browser and any internet-connected program isn't working. The program is probably not with the anti-flood scripts because ... well it started before that. I use XDCC scripts to download files, maybe, that's the problem? Should I change my nick? Thanks.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If you're downloading files you could be maxing out your connection. Many ISPs don't like you downloading gigabytes of data every day, it costs them a lot of money, so you end up getting disconnected. Because mIRC is not a file trading program it does not have features to specify maximum download speeds.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
OP Offline
N
Hmm, thanks, what is an average monthly cap for downloading files? I hope I am not crossing over, just because I am downloading the same 7GB file...5times over. Also, when I stay in que, I get to the first Que, and then get kicked to the 5th Que. Just now I got a ping time-out (850sec) while standing in que. The internet is working fine.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Why are you downloading the same file 5 times? If you need 5 copies of it (and I can't see any reason why you would), it'd be faster to download it once, then copy it. Inspite of the slow speed of a hard drive, the copy rate is probably faster than your download rate, unless you've got a full T1 (or better) connection.

As pointed out, mIRC is not for file sharing, and the fact that you're downloading a 7G file almost completely eliminates any possibility of it being a legal share. Quite simply, it's too big.

Regarding a cap, there is no average, as each ISP sets their own cap, and sets the policy regarding the enforcement of that cap. Additionally, ISP caps are usually based on band-width, a combination of usage uploaded and downloaded, not just one.

Also, you use bandwidth, both up & down, simply by connecting to the internet.

Last edited by RusselB; 21/08/07 10:12 PM.
N
OP Offline
N
HI, the reason I do that is because files are corrupted (often happens in mirc) and then, as I told you before, actually, I just restarted my PC to get the internet connection back because I got to 5% in a file, and then my internet got hit out. Basically, now I am pretty sure that it happens to any server I am on. (it said that nuking doesn't even require you to be connected to a server).

Also, I would gladly use Torrents, but I don't. Not because of the fact that they are slow, but because it is P2P - you are forced to upload. Uploading copyrighted material = selling it. So then, even if I use PeerGuardian, I do not think it is worth the risk of receiving the 2nd letter. As of now, I really want this flooding/nuking/pocketing kiddies to stop. I use ZoneAlarm firewall. My friend uses mirc like this just fine ...

Thanks you very much.

Oh, this is what I just got.

-
* /sockwrite: 'warrior' not connected
-
-
-
-
-

And there's another thing. Do you know the "in/out" bar in zone alarm? The IN (green) bar keeps jumping from bottom to top ... constantly even though when I am on my full download sp[eed, It goes only like 1/3 way up. Does that mean someone is sending me a lot of packets>?

Last edited by namby_trojan; 22/08/07 08:51 PM.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Originally Posted By: namby_trojan
Uploading copyrighted material = selling it.

Hence, downloading copyrighted material = stealing it...
/me was pointing here again.

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted By: Horstl
Originally Posted By: namby_trojan
Uploading copyrighted material = selling it.

Hence, downloading copyrighted material = stealing it...
/me was pointing here again.

I see, just randomly popping out of....in the middle.

Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard