mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
Hi,

I was just told that 6.3 adds a new security feature that connects to a remote server to validate the user's registration. I have a valid registration I've had for years, but I'd like to know if it won't work if the server is down or if I get a new computer or anything like that. And, I don't like the idea of my client reporting what I'm doing to an outside computer.

Can someone tell me if this is true. Has the registration process changed, and if so, how intrusive is the new system?

Thanks.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
The new system connects to the servers once when you enter your registration information. If validation is successful it adds a registry key. If the servers are down you will be unable to validate.

If you validate mIRC whilst it runs in -portable mode (/help Command Line) then the validation information will be saved to mirc.ini rather than your registry, so you can take a validated copy with you on a USB stick without having to re-validate.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Try it and find out. It validates once, so it will work fine if the servers go down after you've validated. Also, nothing is "reported" but your key, so there's not much to worry about.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard