Print Thread
P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
When I try to post to the forums here via FireFox 2.0.0.6 I get:

"The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again. "

Well I disabled my software firewall and it made no difference. I wound up having to use Opera. I have no problem using FireFox on other forums.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I think I used to get this some time ago, don't know if it was just when posting though. Have you tried clearing your cache?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I'm using the same version of FireFox, to make this posting.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Well that's interesting... what's your point?

This obviously isn't a Firefox issue for everyone otherwise 1) I'd be experiencing it, and 2) We'd probably have hundreds of people posting about how Ff is broken with the boards. I don't think anyone has suggested it is an issue for everyone using Ff.

Mentality/Chris
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Same version. No problems. Try "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)". An extension might be causing the problem.

Last edited by Strider; 20/08/07 04:19 AM.
P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
I tried flushing the cache and even starting FFox in Safemode and still the same error. I am posting this from within FFox through the use of the IE Tab plugin which is allowing me to render the page in IE.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Do you go through some sort of proxy to get to the Web? Perhaps a transparent proxy at your ISP?

P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Not that I am aware of. I am using Vista as an O/S. If I remember I will try checking to see if the problem exists here in XP or not.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It sounds like your Firefox is sending invalid HOST information when viewing the site. I don't know if there is some addon for Firefox that lets you view what's being sent by the browser when viewing a page. For IE, there's IEWatch. Something like that would let you see what's happening and maybe figure out the solution from that.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I had this problem once with my Opera browser .. I had updated the browser, and it switched from telling the forum it was IE to identifying itself as Opera. Maybe there's something like that in Firefox?

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Originally Posted By: CtrlAltDel
I had this problem once with my Opera browser .. I had updated the browser, and it switched from telling the forum it was IE to identifying itself as Opera. Maybe there's something like that in Firefox?

Others have no problem with FireFox and yet when I run FireFox in safe mode, to disable all AddOns, I still have the same problem. I also do not know why this is the only forum I have problems posting with FireFox.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
As this post on the ubbthreads forum states, this error is caused by the Referer header not being recieved by the forum software.

As this is only happening in Firefox it's likely you've disabled the sending of referers in about:config (a setting which will persist in Safe Mode). Type about:config in the FF address bar and ensure network.http.sendRefererHeader is set to 2 (the default). Note that some security software blocks referers and it's not inconceivable that it would decide to do so only for Firefox.

I was able to reproduce this problem by setting network.http.sendRefererHeader to 0.

P
pcguy Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Thanks. You hit the nail on the head. Once that entry was changed from 0 to 2 I had no problem posting.

Link Copied to Clipboard