mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#181946 02/08/07 06:44 PM
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
I've been using mIRC for a few months now, and have yet to get the logging feature to work. I've searched the forums and tried about a bajillion things, none of which seem to work. The funny thing is that mIRC acts like it is logging files (ie, it comes up with a list of log files in the View Logs window, with dates and sizes and all that jazz) but when I try to open them I get a "Cannot find" error. And the actual log folder in my Program files is also empty. I have v.6.21, which I've repeatedly re-installed to try to fix this problem, but I suspect it's something very simple that I'm missing. I've tried clicking and unclicking the "Lock Log files" checkbox in the Logging are under Options, and a host of other things, but they don't seem to be working.

I will be grateful for any help, but I will admit I am far from proficient in my usage of mIRC. I am, however, willing to try anything at this point, so please suggest anything. Thank you.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Are you, per chance, using Windows Vista?

If so, try looking off of the Virtual Store directory, which will look something like C:\Users\<Your user account name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\mIRC\

T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Originally Posted By: RusselB
Are you, per chance, using Windows Vista?

If so, try looking off of the Virtual Store directory, which will look something like C:\Users\<Your user account name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\mIRC\

I do have Windows Vista, but I followed that path you set, and just about every similar path, and can't seem to find the Virtual Store directory. Under my user name, there's just the usual list of Documents, Downloads, Music, etc, and no AppData folder. I tried following just about every similar path, in which there are other AppData folders, but they don't have a Local file, or a VirtualStore file. Perhaps it's because I'm using Vista Ultimate?

Yes I hate Microsoft sometimes.

I'm still failing to figure this out. Please help.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's possible that it's hidden and you have Windows set to really hide hidden files/folders rather than just make them semi-transparent. You should be able to change that in your options.

Of course, you can avoid the issue by going to Start>Run and typing in the full path and pressing OK. Even if it's hidden, that should take you to the correct spot. Alternatively, you can use Search in your Start menu to find VirtualStore.

As a side note, you can avoid any need to open that stupid folder by just changing all of your mIRC paths (download/log/etc) to a folder that is not in Program Files\mIRC. Send them to the desktop, to your documents folder, to a new folder such as c:\mIRC Stuff\logs, etc. Vista just steals your files if they are saved within the mIRC folder.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks. I don't know why changing paths didn't occur to me before, but it worked fine. Interestingly enough, I set Vista to reveal all hidden files, went to the path, and there still weren't any log files. mIRC just acted like there were I guess.

Thank you for your assistance.

Link Copied to Clipboard