mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#1782 15/12/02 02:20 AM
M
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
mIRC is dying of the need to be able to type in italics, God knows how many times I've had to capitalize letters to get the point across. Italics would make things much easier.

#1783 15/12/02 03:38 AM
V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
bold works too ya know.

#1784 15/12/02 09:35 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
All of these methods (and more, besides) can be used to emphasize text.

All clients
  • CAPS
  • *stars*
  • _old_style_underline_
  • 'quotes'
  • "double quotes"
  • -side dashes-
  • ~side tildes~
  • .«{formatted symbols}».
  • etc.
Most modern clients
  • <Ctrl-B> Bold (<Ctrl-b> turns off the last bold code)
  • <Ctrl-U> Underline (<Ctrl-u> cancels the last underline code)
  • <Ctrl-R> Reversed/White-on-Black (<Ctrl-r> cancels the last reverse code)
  • <Ctrl-O> Normal text (cancel all currently active codes)
  • <Ctrl-K>##,## ForegroundColorNumber,BackgroundColorNumber (<Ctrl-k> to cancel just the last color code)
You can, in fact, combine most of these into the same message.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#1785 16/12/02 07:51 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
<sarcasm>
Yes mIRC is in DYING need of italics! I mean when I wake up in the morning I say, "the only reason I have to live is the mere hope that mIRC will one day support italics!" or else, quite honestly, I woulda shot myself a long time ago! And I'm sure just about everyone out there feels exactly the same! So please, if there is a God, don't let man kind suffer any longer!!! GIVE US ITALICS in mIRC!!! I mean really, should people be forced to used caps? Thats just inhuman! How could people be forced to do such a thing???
</sarcasm>

#1786 18/12/02 11:31 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Would I like to see it? Yes
Is it needed? No

There's lots of things I'd love to see and while a lot of things (those ideas) are scriptable, 99% of them just arent needed.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#1787 19/12/02 03:43 AM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Khaled developed a text rendering engine for his needs, but quite honestly I don't find it very strong. I would personnally see a lot of new functionality (which I see in other IRC clients, or other communication toold in general) associated with a better text rendering engine.

Well, my point is that Khaled mut have found a hard time playing with his code to figure out how to render italic, and finally found that it was harder to implement than to say. Basically, rendering underscored or bold text is easy, each character still has the same position/width. Now when it comes to italic it's different. Look at some italic text, look in particular to the last letter... as you see, letter are slightly larger then they would if they wasn't itlicized. If you think of it from a programer point of view, you realize that you need some different method of calculation where each character should be drawn.

Khaled must have realized there was enough method of emphazizing text so that it wasn't much useful to waste time to implement italic.

#1788 19/12/02 10:55 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Well, my point is that Khaled mut have found a hard time playing with his code to figure out how to render italic, and finally found that it was harder to implement than to say.

Yes, but remember, the same thing was openly stated about copying colors too and he found a way to do that. MAYBE it will happen down the road and maybe it wont. Personally, I could live without italics as 90% of the people Ive talked to in the last 3 years didnt use italics because those people use mirc. Some use Pirch (which can do it yes) some use other clients, but the channels *I* go in to most of them used mirc in some fashion (scripted, vanilla, etc). Im not saying nobody uses it, just relating my experience. It was fun when I had it (used Pirch & mirc at one time) but it makes no difference to me if it's implemented or not because of all the ways you can stress something. Granted Bold, Italics, & Underline are 3 very basic font effects and tons of programs have them, but not all

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#1789 22/12/02 08:05 AM
X
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
X
Do you have anything useful to say codemastr???

Link Copied to Clipboard