Print Thread
#178676 13/06/07 03:33 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I need ideas wink i writing on a script. So far i have repeat protection, mass kick protection and caps protection, what else is a good protection to have? ideas please wink

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Add protection from unnecessary channel protection.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Originally Posted By: sparta
mass kick protection

I've never agreed with this kind of protection. People seem far too concerned with giving op status to just anyone in the hope that will encourage them to stay, making the channel bigger. The only people who should be opped are trustworthy, experienced people who won't do stupid things like mass kicks, mass deops or whatever.

Concordantly, I find the best channel protection is having active/experienced ops, though some scripted protection is practical for when people are AFK. Repeat protection is good, but also general text floods and join flood protection which can help against bot floods. Spam protection can also be helpful, but only if it's highly customisable, not some crude ON TEXT event which kicks on every mention of *http://* or *www*.

If you moderate a channel too much it's just silly and you end up kicking people unintentionally - or scripting a bunch of protection which never gets practically used.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
You will allways have users op the wrong users, im on a cupple of big channels, and when we had problems with a TO kiddie "yes they still exist", he started to deop oped users, and when a girl "i trust her" got panic she oped only by nick, didnt check the host, that means she oped people she belived should have op, and it gave me a bit of work, thats why i make protection for the channels. But i also make it so you can remove channels so the channels i want arent effected by the script. I also make like a bot system that will give people op by auth with a CTCP user passwd, then they can op, if they arent authed i will deop them, when you have to do with people they often do misstakes wink

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Instead of coding protections against the people your op is opping.

a. Get a smarter op.
b. If the server your on supports Half Op status, give her that instead, now she can only kick, ban, change channel modes, pretty much everything except give op status to other users.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have to agree with the feelings of others here. Don't op anyone until they have been around for long enough that you feel they are trustworthy. It's also, generally, a bad idea to op anyone who *asks* to be an op. Usually, those are the people who are not as trustworthy, or just aren't going to be any real help in moderating the channel.

If you really feel that you can't choose appropriate ops, then the suggestion of using a network that allows extra modes (either modes like half-op and admin, or modes like SOP and AOP). Basically, something where you can op anyone you want to without fear of them taking over.

Too many protections will force users away.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard