mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#178104 05/06/07 10:22 AM
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Ok, I have recently noticed something about connections, my question actually is about host names and such. My first question is what is "Identd". And my second question is how do I make my host name to disappear. You see, when I join a channel, or when someone types a /whois command on me, they can see my host name and IP. I am ok with everyone to see my IP, but my host name clearly indicate from where I am. Which sometimes, I don't want people to know. I want to keep using this wonderful chat system, but it's just not private enough. I want to keep my privacy.

There was a period when people only saw my IP address along with my E-mail address. And now, my host name appears again, allowing people to see it. I want that period to come back again. That's an example:

name@host81-152-216-132.range81-152.btcentralplus.com

That's a whole host name address

and this:

name@202.161.187.2

is what I had in the first place, now I got the whole host name. I just want the IP and my e-mail address to appear. If this is possible, please tell me how to enable it. I also have myself on "invisible" mode, but that's not helping.

Thank you very much.

-Temp

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
1. From the help file:

Identd

mIRC can act as an ident server and sends the specified User ID and System as identification. This server will be more useful to some people than others. In general it is better to leave it active as some systems might refuse a connection if there is no reply to an ident request.

Enable Ident Server
Check/uncheck this to turn the identd server on or off

User ID
This can be your account or user name on your system. For most people this will be the User ID portion of their email address (the text before the @ sign). Valid characters for a User ID are: . 0-9 A-Z _ - a-z

System
This identifies your operating system. For all intents and purposes, replying with a value other than UNIX would not be very useful for most people.

Port
This should usually be 113.

Show Identd requests
This displays any identd requests sent to your identd server if it is turned on.

Enable only when connecting
This turns the identd server on only when you're connecting to an IRC server. The moment an identd request is received and replied to, or the moment you connect to the IRC server and see the MOTD, the identd server is turned off.

Note: This server will reply to all ident queries sent to the specified port ie. it is not limited to replying to an IRC server for mIRC. If you have turned on the identd server and it isn't replying to identd queries then it is probable that the type of internet account you have is preventing mIRC from replying, or that another program is running which has control of the identd port.

Use ID from email address
Makes mIRC use the User ID from your email address in identd replies.

The /identd command
You can also use the /identd [on|off] [userid] command to change the above settings.

2. Try setting usermode +x (/mode YourNick +x)

T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
I tried setting myself mode +x but nothing changed. What is that anyway?

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Point 1 is covered, so.. I won't bother with that.

2) SladeKraven suggested usermode '+x', which is good for some networks (such as 'rizon'). 'irchighway' uses usermode '+r' to mask addresses.

Different server versions on different networks offer different ways of masking an address to make it untracable.

If your network doesn't offer such a servers (like most EFNet servers), then your IP address & hostname are going to be visible to anybody.

Showing an IP address only is completely out of your control in this situation. In any case, it takes only a single command to resolve the IP address into a hostname, so..

If you tell us which network you frequent, there'll be people who'll be able to tell you more.

T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Well, I tired setting modes X, W, I and D and nothing helped. I don't believe anyone can tell me more about this, I'm using the random "EU" server at Undernet. it's eu.undernet.org

And about my host name and my location, I don't think anybody here knows about it, because it's only a small community from where I am. If there are more people from here, then It'll be great. I'm from Israel, so my hostname is Netvision.net.il

Although I don't think anyone can help me about it. Some people on Undernet don't like us very much, so I simply don't want them to know from where I am. I think it's reasonable.

Thanks for the help though.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I think you need to register with X to hide your host but I'm not too sure, I've never used Undernet. Also, remember modes are case-sensitive so +X should be +x (If that network does support that of course).

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Undernet requires you to register a username and login to their Services bot called X before you can set yourself +x. You can register for a username here. After you have registered and logged into X, you can then set yourself +x.

The ability to use +x has nothing to do with what country you're from or what ISP you use. It's a totally global thing for anyone who registers a username.

I'd also like to point out that what country you're from is irrelevant here, everyone is courteous to everyone else here whether they like other people's countries or not smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Thanks all, my problem is solved... somehow :P

Link Copied to Clipboard