Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
F
A friend of mine told me about this, I tried and it worked:

when connected to IRC, join some channels, then type
/j #2,0

Is this an easter egg or something?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I just tried and nothing happens. Anyway, /j is not an easter egg but it is an alias that is predefined in mIRC's alias file that allows you to shorten what is needed to be typed to join a room. If you want to join two or more rooms at once, then this is possible but you need to make it #2,#0 not #2,0

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Joining channel '0' makes you leave all channels, it's a server feature.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Just thought I'd mention that it's April Fools Day today - wonder if that has anything to do with it? :tongue:

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
No, MonoSex is right

- cF
Dedicated helper for rent.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Well yes, but if someone's told him to type /j #0 or whatever, wouldn't that be a practical 'joke' if it made him leave all channels he was in?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
since he said a "friend" told him, perhaps it was.... personally i would hope it was a real friend he could trust since he didnt hesitate to type what is a destructive join. at least that didnt do anything horrendous as some things could.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Did your friend also tell you to press Alt+F4 while on a channel too? Just curious is all grin

F
fatG Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks all. From 7 replies, only 2 were trying to answer my question, and only 1 actually did...
Are you people so bored? wink

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
no, some of us were trying to get across the point that it isnt a peachy idea to type everything someone tells you to

F
fatG Offline OP
OP Offline
F
That's because you assumed that I have no clue about how things work, what is safe to type, and what is not. You could've just as well assumed the opposite, and spare yourselves some typing.

What made you think that, just because I tried /j #2,0 (seems obviously harmless to me), I'd type ANYTHING? Wouldn't you try to type that, if someone told you to? Wouldn't you be curious? Or would you be too affraid what might happen, if you try to JOIN #2,0 (Ooh, spooky things might happen! Maybe a ZOMBIE will infect my computer with EVIL viruses!). Heh. I take care of my computer and avoid harmful stuff. Which this join was _not_. So I typed it. Don't judge, when all you got is a simple question. (Which was answered, making all other posts, posted after the answer, irrelevant and redundant, including yours.)

And yes, it _was_ a friend, so I kind of trusted him, too.

I know you deal with a lot of newbies here on the forum, but it's just not good enough excuse for judging people, throwing everybody in the same basket, just because you _think_ you know a whole lot more.

I apologize for being so annoying, but things like this really tick me off.

Later

Last edited by fatG; 03/04/03 12:47 PM.
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
I agree with you completely.

F
fatG Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I completely forgot to be polite ... thanks, MonoSex, for the answer smile

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
No prob. wink

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I know you deal with a lot of newbies here on the forum, but it's just not good enough excuse for judging people, throwing everybody in the same basket, just because you _think_ you know a whole lot more.

No-one here has catagorised you, the idea that you don't type commands that are quoted to you applies to all users, not just those that may be inexperienced. This is because no-one knows everything. Some people merely come close to perfection.

To clarify the /j #0 server function I will announce that if this works then it is IRCd specific because it doesn't work on the ones I've tried.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Fair comment, but remember that a lot of newbies do come here for help, and the answers given might have some relevance to them, if not you. Also remember that people on here can only go from the information that is given. Nobody really knows what a 'stranger's' level of knowledge is. Surely it's best to assume (sorry, there's that word again) the most basic level of knowledge - unless it's obvious that this isn't the case? That way, everyone can understand the answers given.

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
/j 0
Leave out the hash symbol. :[/b])

F
fatG Offline OP
OP Offline
F
In general I agree with you, since I'm a new poster, noone could tell my level of knowledge, and since the majority of users have little knowledge, assumptions like this are rarely (not never, though) wrong.

But speaking of newbies - in cases like this, wouldn't we all be better off, if people who knew the answer explained them, and others would preferrably shut up, instead of making remarks like "did your friend tell you to press CTRL+F4, too?" (referring to some previous post here). Comments like this _do_ categorize me, since I'm the poster of the question, and do little help for newbies - or anyone else that might find this thread useful, for that matter. Oh well, in a perfect world ... smile

Anyway, we've cleared things up, and joining 0 channels is a cool trick, and it shall be passed on to innocent victims >:).
smile
Later

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I have no clue why you decided to get up in arms over my replies. I was NOT assuming anything about you,nor was i judging you. i was taking into consideration that other ppl, including newbies, read these threads. Agreeing with Poppy that this particular trick is reasonably harmless and could be done by a friend (or not) as a joke, as well as adding that typing some things users could suggest can indeed be harmful, may help someone besides you. Even TheGames post about alt F4, while done jokingly, may stop someone from falling for that one. Knowing nothing about you or your level of knowledge is irrelevant to my replies, as replies here should be stated in ways that other users, regardless of knowledge level, can benefit from them. If my reply means that even ONE person refused to type something harmful just because they were curious, then you can throw a hissy fit over some imagined slur to your ego all you want...its worth it to me.

And no, in ans to your ques, many years ago when someone told me to type that i refused to.... I also refused to type a ton of other crud someone thought was cute. my "curiousity" was satisfied by finding out what those various things did. I wont even dignify your attempts to insult me with your "zombie" comment by responding further to that. To imply that its perfectly fine to satisfy curiousity by typing whatever a user is told, is irresponsible. YOU perhaps may know better... many others who look to this forum as a learning source may not.

If you feel other posts are redundant, then dont read them once you find the answer you seek. Your opinion on what is relevant isnt any excuse for being rude

Link Copied to Clipboard